PDA

View Full Version : odd question

happy thoughts
03-10-2011, 08:17 AM
I've only been tapping on a small scale for about 5 years. This year we have a new place and have only tapped 2 trees with 2 taps each- a sugar and a black both large enough to take at least one more tap. These trees have been running like water so far. Last week we got over 25 gallons of sap over the 5 days the trees ran. Wish I had tapped more trees but am not set up to handle much more than this.

Once last week and again this morning there was no sap worth collecting in the evening but in the AM the buckets were almost overflowing. I've already collected over 7 gallons so far today.

On both days the temps the day before barely got above freezing with overcast skies then hovered a little above freezing at night. It's about 36F now with a light drizzle. Now my question is- is night flow normal and is there any difference in sugar content. It tastes as sweet as usual. I do not have a hydrometer. Is this sap worth processing? I'm pretty sure there was no rain contamination and even now the taps are flowing like faucets.

Kev
03-10-2011, 08:32 AM
The trees are doing what the weather tells them to do, it makes no difference if its day or night. This season, much of the 1200 gal I have collected has flowed at night. Its actually been really weird. I have had great sap days on some 33-36 days even with a cold wind and clouds. I am not going to complain LOL I just cook it, you should too!
I have only been tracking gal collected and the date...
I think next season I am going to track temps,wind, barometer and how sunny it is

happy thoughts
03-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Thanks Kev, much appreciated. This night flow is a first for me. Guess it's time to start boiling the donuts:)

KenWP
03-12-2011, 06:36 PM
last year the sap started to flow late Sunday afternoon and flowed day and night until Saturday morning and then stopped. During that week here it never got below freezing or even close and it still poured buckets. Everyone around here had the same thing happen and it all stopped the same day. Now if the sugar had of been better it would have helped a lot.

wnybassman
03-12-2011, 07:00 PM
My bigger trees always like to flow at night if the temps don't go below freezing. Of course, after a couple nights you will need to freeze for a reset.

WI Sugarpop
03-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Yesterday we collected 100 gals at 4:00 PM and then they ran all night and we got another 100 gals today but it didn't run during the day.