PDA

View Full Version : Taps are in .... and dripping!!

sk8heaven
03-09-2011, 06:10 PM
I was going to wait until the weekend to tap, but with 34 degrees today and 40 by Friday, then above freezing again next week... decided to put in 50 taps today after work. Glad I did! First hole drilled was dripping slowly right away, By the time I had 50 taps in, the first one had a cup or more (less than an hour and a half). I am in the Bemidji MN area.

GramaCindy
03-09-2011, 06:39 PM
oh boy….I have been "chomping at the bit" so to speak about waiting to tap until Saturday. I may have to head out after work tomorrow with your post! Thanks!!!:D

adk1
03-09-2011, 07:54 PM
oh boy….I have been "chomping at the bit" so to speak about waiting to tap until Saturday. I may have to head out after work tomorrow with your post! Thanks!!!:D

Get those taps in GramaCindy!

GramaCindy
03-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Dangit….tomorrow after working at the school, the basketball team is playing for regionals….Not sure what I can get done between the two, I will try adk1! for sure. Friday looks to be a great day for a preliminary run, high of 46*! YAHOO!:D

adk1
03-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Dangit….tomorrow after working at the school, the basketball team is playing for regionals….Not sure what I can get done between the two, I will try adk1! for sure. Friday looks to be a great day for a preliminary run, high of 46*! YAHOO!:D

sounds great! cant wait to see the rig in action!

sk8heaven
03-09-2011, 08:47 PM

Maybe you can convince Grandpa Tim ;)
Sounds like perfect weather to have the taps in

SDdave
03-10-2011, 06:26 AM
I am going to tap today. Waiting for the weather is really killing me this year. But its here so off I go, finally! Just looked at the 7 day, highs in the mid to upper 50's next tues and weds.

SDdave
03-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Just got done tapping. First bore came out sopping wet. When I left had about 2 cups. Can't wait for the big flow!!

GramaCindy
03-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Maybe you can convince Grandpa Tim ;)
Sounds like perfect weather to have the taps in

hey…did 3 taps today after work….yard trees. Just to dang nice out! The team, The Drummond Lumberjacks WON their regionals championship game tonight, so I am thinking that is good for tapping on Saturday! What do you think???

syrupdreamer
03-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Put in 58 taps tonight, all sugar and reds. Steady dripping. I will put in another 300 this weekend. I feel like a kid in a candy store!

sk8heaven
03-11-2011, 09:16 AM
hey…did 3 taps today after work….yard trees. Just to dang nice out! The team, The Drummond Lumberjacks WON their regionals championship game tonight, so I am thinking that is good for tapping on Saturday! What do you think???

Sounds perfect. Congratulations to the lumberjacks (our team here in Bemidji is also the lumberjacks).

After putting in 50 taps on Wednesday, I decided not to wait till next year to expand again - 50 more taps and bag holders should be at my door today when I get home. Supposed to be only in the 20s this weeknd, but 40s next week so I will be putting more out on Saturday as well. Can't wait to try out my new pans/burners and filtering/canning unit!

hkillam
03-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Finished 35 taps today, some with buckets, some bags. By sundown I had collected about 5 gal of sap - and that doesn't include the taps I did in the late afternoon, which I didn't expect to have enough sap to make it worth collecting yet. I'm a first timer, and, wow, I'm excited to boil. Will probably save sap till the end of next week so I have enough to do a full days boiling. Just after I finished my 35th tap, I got a call from a neighbor who gave me permission to tap on her land, so, I just ordered another 15 taps and bag holders. The weekend forcast doesn't look good for sap, but next week should be pretty good.

Hugh
Rice County MN (South Eastern MN)

RileySugarbush
03-11-2011, 10:13 PM
We put in about 115 this afternoon. Most were running. Next week should be good!

elm creek guy
03-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Put in 75 on friday everything was drpping until this xmas weather moved in for sure it will only get better!

lastwoodsman
03-13-2011, 05:29 AM
I have about 90 taps out. A little dripping--everything froze solid now. Taking off for the shack tues evening for the week and the same next week.
Got my license so its offical I am a licensed producer!!
Made a new sled to pull behind the atv with barrel attached.
Woodsman

sk8heaven
03-17-2011, 06:58 PM
I have been gathering from 30 to 40 gallons of sap a day. My sugar content appears rather low so far. It is taking me 55 gallons of sap for each gallon of syrup. Not sure if that will improve, but I hope so. I guess it's a good thing to start slow - I have been modifying my evaporator setup and it is now working GREAT! I will see how it handles the 100+ gallon days before too long!

warners point
03-18-2011, 09:59 PM
We got about 50 gallons of sap today out of my Dads 80 taps. I put out another 80 tonight and they were dripping like crazy. Low 20s tonight and mid 40s tomorrow, should make for a good day of gathering.