PDA

View Full Version : Boxelder syrup...different taste and color?

maplematt
03-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Hey everyone. Last year and this year, the syrup I made from the very first sap collection from boxelders had a light yellow/white color and a fruity tangy flavor, almost like honey or apples. Last year the rest of the syrup batches tasted like normal maple syrup.

The sap was not in the buckets for more than a day, and there was ice in some buckets so I dont think it got too warm...

Is this usual for the first sap from Boxelders? Anyone else experience this? It tastes really good, just different.

Thanks,
-Matt

C.Wilcox
03-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Matt,

You're right on track. Early box elder syrup is very light in color, almost orange and has a very different flavor than maple syrup. Sometimes it tastes like butterscotch. Sounds like you got it just right.

KenWP
03-09-2011, 06:53 PM
It is way different.The niter with mine is a white mud instead of the dark red color I get from the maples around here.The sap is not actually that tasty as it has a woody taste but it boils away. I have the mother of all box elders in my yard with a huge base.and several trunks off of it.I can get 5 or more gallons of sap a day off of it when it pours.

maplematt
03-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks to both of you. I thought it was just a fluke last year, but after this years batch I thought I'd check. Yeah all the gunk in my filters is always white. I've only ever tapped boxelders.

Also, I'm sure its on the site if I looked, but could I sell boxelder syrup labeled as maple syrup (not that I am looking to sell, just curious)

Thanks again, this site has been very helpful.

C.Wilcox
03-10-2011, 07:36 AM
My understanding is yes. Check out this thread for more info:

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=10493&highlight=selling+elder

C.Wilcox
03-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Just wanted to post a picture to show the different color of Box Elder syrup. This is really typical of the early season syrup that we make. I think this photo shows the orange color pretty well.

Timber Juice
03-14-2011, 01:42 PM
If you have enough boxelders to make good syrup, I would keep it separate.

A rare, unique specialty always demands a higher price.

Give little taste samples and perhaps smaller bottles to stretch the supply.

My attempt ended with about a 1/4th cup, not enough to process properly even carefully on the kitchen stove. I wasn't impressed.

After reading this thread and seeing that picture I may have to find more trees.

hholt
03-14-2011, 02:11 PM
I agree with C.Wilcox, I made some box elder syrup a few years back and remarked to my wife that it tasted like butterscotch. Have used silver maples more recently though.

DonMcJr
03-07-2012, 01:24 AM
Butterscotch huh? Man I have A LOT of Box Elders in my woods...hmmm... Looks like more taps are in order besides the 5 more I am gonna put in some sugar and maples this week...:cool:

dufftj
03-07-2012, 04:43 AM
Thought 'id post a reply.....The first syrup i made this year came from silver maples and the flavor you described hits my first syrup flavor right on the mark.....It even smells fruity....I was starting to think that the bakery pails that I use for collecting added the fruity taste....also the residue in my filters was a white like paste.....I know for sure that the trees I tapped are silvers and not box elders....I guess its what makes this hobby interesting....can't wait for more sap cause the pint I made didn't last one day:)

maple flats
03-07-2012, 04:55 AM
Other names for box elder are ash leaf maple and Canadian maple. It is in the maple family and does make maple syrup.