PDA

View Full Version : using corn as fuel

Ray Melander
12-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Has anyone expermented with burning corn to fire their evaporator? If so how well does it work.

sweetwoodmaple
12-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Though about this myself as I have a pellet stove. My initial thoughts were that it would take some effort as the corn and pellet stoves depend highly on forced draft.

Also, good boiling is dependent on full flame contact with the bottom of the pans, so getting corn to provide this flame profile would be challenging. Being able to get the process to be continuous (auger feed or whatever) would be interesting as well.

I can't imagine getting my pellet stove to throw out a flame that is 10' long while not having to take out a bank loan to feed it!

Maybe someone on the trader has experimented. If so, I'm all ears.

Brian

sapaddict
01-29-2006, 08:29 AM
I've sold pellets stoves for about 20 yrs now and your right they wont burn without forced air. You would need a special rig, basically an elogated feed, burn pot, to give you any consistant heat. It can be done, and I know some people in the stove side alwasy looking to diversivy but its such a small market, and short season, hard to sell. I'm not big enough to do it myself, but if I ever got bigtime, maybe I'd make something up.