PDA

View Full Version : Any sap?

C&C maple sugar bush
03-08-2011, 07:45 PM
is any one that it tapped in Wisconsin getting a lot of sap yet, i was think next week should be a good run.

guppy79
03-08-2011, 07:56 PM
I got about 30 gallons tonight. Will be cooking that batch down on the turkey fryer

WI Sugarpop
03-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Got 60 gals today. Will boil tomorrow. Will be fun to sit in the shack and watch the snow storm and drink coffee.

Haynes Forest Products
03-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Dont know will be leaving Friday heading to Door County and will start fixing and tapping Saturday:) Will have help and alot of new equipment to install and have fun with.
I will be bringing my used warped 18"X36" Lapierre Waterloo Small pans that I warped and had to sandblast the carbon out of. I was thinking of cutting the drawoff box off them and scrapping them..........BUT Jim Schumacker from Smokey lake said bring them by and sell them. SO I will be dropping them off at his place at the end of the week. They still work fine but are warped. They would make a great pan for someone starting out. The pan is divided and has 2 drawoff box with all sorts of ports for therms. You can see them in my Photo Bucket call me at 303 8105501 if intrested Make me a good offer.

ComputerSteve
03-08-2011, 09:19 PM
We have 37 taps in and got 16 gallons of sap today. About a third of the taps had nothing, a third had a small amount, and the last third had quite a bit. I'm hoping production starts increasing soon.

Jim Schumacher
03-08-2011, 09:57 PM
I will be bringing my used warped 18"X36" Lapierre Waterloo Small pans that I warped and had to sandblast the carbon out of. I was thinking of cutting the drawoff box off them and scrapping them..........BUT Jim Schumacker from Smokey lake said bring them by and sell them. SO I will be dropping them off at his place at the end of the week. They still work fine but are warped. They would make a great pan for someone starting out. The pan is divided and has 2 drawoff box with all sorts of ports for therms. You can see them in my Photo Bucket call me at 303 8105501 if intrested Make me a good offer.

These pans are still very usable. They can be seen at my shop. Feel free to stop by and check them out. I will post pictures of them soon.

Jim

glfisherman
03-08-2011, 10:18 PM
I got the itch to tap on Sun. Put 5 taps in about 10 in the morning.....nothing, cut wood for 2 hours, came back; had about a pint of sap in some of my bags. Went forth and put the rest of taps in Mon. 40 of them. I am up in the Sturgeon Bay area. Nothing much so far....

maplematt
03-08-2011, 11:27 PM
37 taps gave ComputerSteve and me 15 gallons or so. And most of them were on Boxelders too, so it's definately started by us. A few more of the days this week look good too. Get to boil tomorrow, yay!

ComputerSteve
03-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Our 37 taps produced 43 gallons of sap yesterday. So far, so good, production is going up!

Haynes Forest Products
03-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Things are starting to rip up in Door County. I guess the Wisconsin Maple queen was up near here in Egg Harbor Jorns Sugar Bush. Crappy weather.must have frooze her crown off. Was the official start of sap season.

guppy79
03-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Good start for me too. Collected 30 gallons of 4% pretty sticky

goldenmaple1
03-14-2011, 02:30 PM
4% ?!?!?!

So you're the one who got all our sugar. We've gotten thousands of gallons of sap but not a drop has been over 2%. Usually, we get at least 2.2 or 2.3 at the beginning and by the end of the season we're down to 2%. When we see 1.8 we start thinking about shutting down. We've had a few hundred gallons this weekend that were 1.6%.

The good thing is we've got a shiny new CDL 600GPH so we're still getting nice syrup with the 8% the RO makes.