PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need A Vent?

DIMariner
03-08-2011, 07:22 PM
I am trying something new this year. I'm using 5 gallon buckets with tubing from the spile to the bucket. Do I need a vent hole to help the sap run? At first I thought snapping the lid down would be water tight and spill proof, but then I wondered if sap would flow if there was no air vent.

If I need a vent, where should I put it?

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Is the tubing going to fit that tight into buckets? If so I would say yes , put one at the very bottom just right of center(republican)vent hehehehehe:lol::lol:.
All seriousness just below the top of the bucket

sapsick
03-08-2011, 07:35 PM
ive never needed a vent.

DIMariner
03-08-2011, 07:38 PM
ive never needed a vent.

Are the lids snapped on tight or are a couple flaps loose?

sapsick
03-08-2011, 07:44 PM
i do snap them down tho i cant guarantee the seal is " airtight" . i drill a small hole that fits snug around my tubing up in the top side of the pail just under the lid. i dont seem to have any issues.

Haynes Forest Products
03-08-2011, 09:14 PM
I never thought of back pressure I woild put it low under the lid ring. Plus dont put the tube so low that the trees suck back what they put forth.

fenwick865
03-10-2011, 02:35 PM
I run 7/16" O.D. tubing from tap into milk jugs on ground. I drill 1/2" holes through jug lid for tubing. I've never had any problems with no vent holes. I currently have 16 taps going.

hardermaple
03-10-2011, 08:00 PM
i have some like that too, just don't snap the lid all the way down. if you do snap it all the way down, it's a pain getting it off. the wind has never been a problem, and the lids stay over the buckets. i drilled the hole for the tubing small so the tubing is water tight. i like this as i can get all the food grade 4-1/2 gallon pails as i want for free.

buxtonboiler
03-11-2011, 07:36 AM
I have about 25 using this method, and have no problems. I did however drill the holes in the side of the buckets so that there is not a hole in the top for rain to get in. The holes are about an inch from the top, right below the ridges that most buckets have.

crackher
03-11-2011, 09:49 AM
I was thinking about doing this as well as I ahve several trees that could support three taps a piece that are along a road on my property in a area i dont tap (other reasons) but I woudl like to tap these 5 trees. I was thinking about using three double ended spiles and leaving the last one with a peice of tubing facing up about 6" allow for a vent (I'll rig something so no water gets in) what do you guys think about that idea

DIMariner
03-12-2011, 12:24 PM
For the record- went out and checked all of my buckets today. A few where I had truly snapped the lid all around and made an airtight seal had a bulge in the lid and a hiss of released pressure when I opened them up. So, at least with my new buckets and lids, the answer is yes, there does need to be some way to let off some pressure. With the buckets where I did sanp down one or two of the flaps, no pressure build up and more sap flow.

adk1
09-02-2011, 09:55 AM
I think that is what I am going to do. jsut not snap the lid down all the way. will allow some air in, keep the water out and will be easier taking off the lid when frozen to dump.

metalhead62
09-02-2011, 10:56 PM
adk ur on the right track. get the bucket good and level and snap 1 side,way to much to deal with if it is cold the tops dont come off well if they r closed tight