PDA

View Full Version : Bit breaking???

Eric in Kinburn
03-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Hi,

I decided to start tapping a few trees today and on my 3rd one my only bit broke. I'm using a hand brace to drill my holes and I can keep it pretty steady I think. I was about to pull it out when it broke in the tree and there is no way to pull it out so I guess I will leave it in there.

I guess I'll be heading to the store tomorrow to buy another (maybe 2 or 3) new bits.

Does this happen often to you guys? The bit was an Irwin bit which I thought was a decent quality bit. Maybe I'll start using the cordless drill now :(

Cheers,
Eric

jwalker
03-08-2011, 06:48 PM
I've broken them with cordless drills as well. Not a good feeling and they are not cheap either.

venus_amos
03-08-2011, 07:05 PM
If the wood is unthaw, maybe your bit is too much agressive.

Eric in Kinburn
03-08-2011, 07:23 PM
This was a fairly new Irwin bit that I bought last year. What kind of bit are recommended that can be easily found at HD or similar stores?

Cheers,
Eric

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-08-2011, 07:25 PM
I'v been sugaring since 94 and have never broken a bit, not that I have done thousands or anything. Now watch next tree I go to tap I'll break one:mrgreen:
Are you using one of those Canadian bits?:):)

Eric in Kinburn
03-08-2011, 08:27 PM
It was an Irwin Speedbor bit similar to this one:

http://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bits/speedbor-ship-auger-bits-with-weldtec

Cheers,
Eric

Haynes Forest Products
03-08-2011, 09:05 PM
I use twist bits all the time and I rag the hell out of them. I have never broken one either. As far as the tree being frozen it has no factor as far as I can see. If you have a cordless why are you doing it old school?

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-09-2011, 04:42 AM
Mine are gold anadized looking ones I buy from grims in Rutvegas, not sure if Canadian;), chinese:cry: or actual American:lol: made but they work

Thats a long bit don't go all the way through the tree ;), I use those for house wiring

northwoods_forestry
03-09-2011, 05:34 AM
Treat yourself and your trees and get hold of one of those Canadian tapping bits ASAP. The length of the bit you're using may have contributed to breaking it off in the tree.

Eric in Kinburn
03-09-2011, 07:27 AM
I was doing it old school (hand brace) just because...I just prefer to use hand tools over power tools, no good reason just personal satisfaction. That may change now.

Where can I get those Canadian bits (in Canada preferably) everyone is raving about?

Cheers,
Eric

Haynes Forest Products
03-09-2011, 07:35 AM
I like the Titanium Canadian bits they are short and last forever. Plus I dont walk thru the woods stabbing my leg and everyone else around me.

cvmaple
03-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Did the bit break in half or did the lead screw break off. My cousin and I used to drill between 3 and 5 hundred holes in a day and we broke the lead screw off a few times but never broke a bit in half. After going through four batteries in the cordless to do 68 taps I think old school might be the way to go for the small producer. cvmaple

Southtowns27
03-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Go to your local hardware store and ask for a doweling bit or a brad point bit (they're the same thing). They work awesome in a cordless drill and shouldn't be more than about $6.
http://images.orgill.com/200x200/5701032.jpg

Eric in Kinburn
03-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks everyone!

Eric

Brent
03-09-2011, 05:32 PM
You can get the "Canadian" bits from Atkinson, Love Sweetness(Leader dealer near Dundalk) and almost anyone else the sells maple gear. They are a treat to use. Extra sharp ... you can cut yourself with them. Wrap them to protect the edges and your pocket when carrying them around. Get the titanium coated one and it will last for years.

You will need to be pretty skilled with a brace and bit to get a true round hole. If the hole runs out and get an oval hole the tap will not seal and you'll have lots of sap running down the side of the tree .. bin ther, dun that.