PDA

View Full Version : Evaporators 101

sams64
03-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Is there a source for basic avaporator design and operation that people are using. I am plenty of relevant experience, however, there are some aspects of evaporator design that I am having trouble with. Some of these include how the sap flows through the baffles and from pan to pan.

This year I am moving from a turkey fryer to a block arch using hotel pans, however, I would liek to think about a proper two stage pan set up fro next year.

sam

Bucket Head
03-08-2011, 10:57 AM
The North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual is something that you should have. A lot of stuff is covered in there- info for the little guy in his backyard to a producer with thousands of taps.

As for sap movement, temperature and density is what keeps it moving. The incoming sap is always "pushing" the already boiled sap, halfway to syrup and almost syrup through the pans/channels and eventually out of the drawoff valve. There is a float connected to a valve that lets sap in the pan(s) to maintain the proper level and that incoming sap pushes everything along. Drop flue pan evaporators have one float/valve at the rear of the flue pan and raised flue rigs have a float/valve at both the flue pan and the syrup (front) pan.

Don't worry if your still confused a little bit. I had the same questions way back when. Do you have any producers in your area? Take a look at some other evaporators and observe, and ask some questions. Maple is one of those things that requires "hands on" and "eyes on" training.

Steve