PDA

View Full Version : What size pan?

oldboyscout
03-08-2011, 06:21 AM
I'm Getting frustrated boiling 4 gallons of sap at a time so im ready
For a real pan. I tapped 8 trees this year and will probably do
15-20 next year. What size pan should i get? 2x2 or 2x3?
Thanks!

woodsmith
03-08-2011, 09:06 AM
My first season sugaring I tapped 22 trees and boiled on a barrel stove with an 18 X 24 pan, seemed to handle it well enough, it boiled up to 60 taps in subsequent years but it meant long hours boiling for that quantity of taps.

Bucket Head
03-08-2011, 11:23 AM
I would get as big a pan as you can get/make/afford. Heated surface area is what gives you your evaporation rate. Regardless of your tap count at the moment, or next year, you want as short of boil sessions as you can get. Your probably going to add taps further down the road, we all do. Get a pan now that you think is overkill. Next year, or in a few years you'll be glad you sized it like that.

I started out with a pot and a big frying pan. The following year it was two roaster pans. The next year one flat pan, foot and a half by two. The next year we had two pans. Year after that? Yes, three pans. Do you see what I mean by planning ahead. I should have done what I'm suggesting to you now. You won't be sorry with a bigger pan. Trust me. Good luck.

Steve

brookledge
03-08-2011, 08:43 PM
I agree with buckethead. Think bigger. In a few years you will be happy. What ever you do when you buy one they keep there value pretty good, especially the smaller ones. If you have the area go for the2X3
Keith

oldboyscout
03-09-2011, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the advice. I haven't inventoried yet, but I think I only have a total of maybe 25 maples on my property.
so given that is a 2x4pan too big?

skillet
03-09-2011, 04:58 PM
it all has to do with finished product in your pan. Your pan should have at least 1" of syrup in when done. Any less you risk burning it. Go with two pans. one larger and one finisher, run both until you are out of sap then put water in it until you are finished. We do not boil until we have enough sap to keep the finish pan at a safe level. Go as big as you can. If you only boil once a week you should be able to get enough sap.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
03-09-2011, 06:36 PM
If you are trying to make money. go cheap but safe alternatives. Make a homemade steel pan till you decide if you are going to rent taps or not.

Grizz747
03-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Boyscout
2x3 would be great for 25 maples. I tap 50 and have a 2x4 as I may expand. It takes about 125 gallons just to sweeten the pan.

sapbrush
03-12-2011, 01:27 PM
I have a half pint from leader handels my 35 taps with no problem

oldboyscout
03-14-2011, 10:09 AM
well I've got a 2x3 coming from Andy Wegner. I'll have to put it on some cinder blocks for this week because I have about 48 gallons to boil right now. I panicked last week when the taps started running like waterfalls, but it's slow quite a bit over the weekend. I hope it's not over