PDA

View Full Version : used taps????

rinert
03-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Today I bought some used equipment and it had about 140 used taps after going through them most have some rust on them. I am putting them in a bath of vinager and water. I am wondering if any one has any other ideas.

Flat47
03-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Someone on here (I think) once said to put them in a clean empty paint can with some sand and have the local hardware store shake the paint can. It's the same idea as a tumbler for cleaning brass for ammo reloading, except you don't have to go buy a tumbler. That said, the folks at the hardware store may want to know ahead of time what they're shaking. I bet a can of taps and sand is heavy and loud.

PerryW
03-07-2011, 10:40 PM
The little wire brushes to clean 1/2 inch copper pipe fittings before soldering work good to scrape the rust off the inside of the spouts. Steel wool or wire brush on the outside.

3rdgen.maple
03-07-2011, 10:42 PM
cement mixer and sand. Done it many times in the past and passed that tip along on the trader a few times. Everyone that tried it loved the end results.

Farmboy
03-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Make sure the sand is dry! If it's wet or damp it will pack and stick in every nook and crany of the tap. Don't ask how I no.

elm creek guy
03-09-2011, 04:48 PM
I used a 20 gauge shotgun brush attached to a dewalt drill worked great I was only worried about the inside though