PDA

View Full Version : Problems getting a boil

Pibster
03-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Last season I boiled my sap over an open camp fire. This year I decided to pull the wood stove out of my camp and use it instead. I got a good fire going and then placed a couple of pots with sap on top. After several hours I was still unable to reach a boil. Would the wind keep my stove from reaching high enough temperatures? I can move it into my wood shed to help shelter it or do I just need a bigger stove?

seclark
03-07-2011, 12:28 PM
the wind could have some effect but is the flame hitting the pots or is it like on a cook top.The flame has to lick the bottom of the pots or it will not boil enough.Also how deep is the sap in the pots?

valleyman
03-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Like some veteran Maple Traders told me a couple years back when I posted a picture the fire for a test boil, they said "it looked like the fire for roasting hot dogs" !:lol:

Point being make sure you keep the firebox full have a BIG FIRE BLAZING HOT and keep it that way until it's close to taking off.

Good Luck.

buck3m
03-07-2011, 02:02 PM
#1 is to have flames licking the bottom of the pans/pot, not sitting on top of a metal stove top. A good roaring fire is key, protecting it from the wind can make a huge difference, as well as keeping the level of the liquid to a low but safe level.

Pibster
03-07-2011, 02:46 PM
My wood stove does have a cast iron cooktop. I guess that's the problem. The top is removable but I'm not sure how the stove will draw if the top is off. I did keep the sap around 3" deep.

Sugarmaker
03-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Remove the stove top get a pan somewhat bigger and crank up that stove.
Kind of like when Daryl was in the sugar house Sat. night, he looked into my pans and said "we don't get a boil like that!". It was crankin!
Good luck. Get it boiling!
Regards,
Chris

TapME
03-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Wind can cool a pan down real quick as well as the stove I know. Boiling outside for years has thought me that. As said take the castriron parts off and open the draft as open as it will go and feed the fire with wrist size peices of wood and let her rip. Check the stove often. If you have soft wood you get a quicker fire and hotter heat but for a shorter time.

Pibster
03-08-2011, 06:23 AM
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I will move the stove inside the shed tonight, remove the top and see if I can get it cranking.

Haynes Forest Products
03-08-2011, 07:19 AM
Pibster If we dont hear from you in a few days should we call 911:o I hope you have plans for the stove pipe.

Lets look at the heat situation If someone asked me how can I keep the heat from burning down my shack I would say KEEP A BIG CAST IRON STOVE TOP BETWEEN THE FIRE AND THE WALLS it will insulate it real nice :lol:.......................IM just having fun with ya

Pibster
03-08-2011, 08:06 AM
No worries, I'll be sure to leave the flu portion of the stove outside.

Clan Delaney
03-08-2011, 08:53 AM
That stove was made to radiate heat from all sides, not just out the top. If there's any possible way you can put some brick or insulation in there along the wall, you should see some improvement. And then, ROARING FIRE!

Pibster
03-09-2011, 06:12 AM
I removed the cast iron top and got a good fire going last night. The flame was licking the bottom of the pots and I still had a hard time getting a rolling boil, more of a simmer. It was a cold windy night and that didn't help. One big flat pan instead of two round pots would have made it easier. I may move the stove inside this weekend and give it a try. It might be time to scrap this idea and build a stove out of a barrell.

TapME
03-09-2011, 06:21 AM
I removed the cast iron top and got a good fire going last night. The flame was licking the bottom of the pots and I still had a hard time getting a rolling boil, more of a simmer. It was a cold windy night and that didn't help. One big flat pan instead of two round pots would have made it easier. I may move the stove inside this weekend and give it a try. It might be time to scrap this idea and build a stove out of a barrell.

now you are talking