PDA

View Full Version : squirrel cage blower motor replacement?

Dill
03-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Not sure if this is the right spot. My evap has a big squirrel cage blower on it. It was backyardsugar's old rig. The motor decided it was no longer for this world about an hour into boiling yesterday. So is there any way to just drop the motor off of these or should I buy a whole unit and replace the fan too?

jd maple
03-07-2011, 10:41 AM
No problem to replace the motor, call a local motor shop with the motor specs or if that info is no longer on the motor take it to them and they will match it up. It is alot easier to get a motor than match the wheel. good luck

Dill
03-07-2011, 12:27 PM
I guess its more a question of how do I remove the motor? There is one shaft through the wheel, but I don't see any nuts, is the motor on a locking ring?

jd maple
03-07-2011, 01:06 PM
I guess you have a direct drive motor, the motor is inside the wheel. There should be a set screw in the wheel hub loosen the set screw clean the shat as good as possible with sand cloth or paper. Spray some penatrating oil on the shaft and hub. Remove the motor mounting brackets from the blower housing. Try to pull the motor out of the wheel, if it does not come off try to turn the shaft with a adjustable wrench on the flat spot while holding the wheel to loosen them. If that does't work try to tap the shaft through, do not hammer the shaft to hard you may dammage the wheel or the shaft. If you mark the shaft file the marks out. Heat the hub with torches if you need to. The motor shop will remove the wheel if you cann't or don't want to. good luck

maple flats
03-07-2011, 06:59 PM
If you don't see how to remove just the motor, take out the whole blower and take it to a motor repair shop. They will get it. Might also be able to rebuild the motor cheaper than a new one by far. It might just be a simple problem too.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
03-18-2011, 09:23 PM
You probably could get a blower from a furnace

And by the way I think they are called swirl cages. Not squirrel cages