PDA

View Full Version : how to keeop 5 gallon buckets from sticking

elm creek guy
03-06-2011, 08:39 PM
How do you stack buckets and get them apart? Can't imagine the end of the season when there a little sappy

C.Wilcox
03-06-2011, 09:00 PM
I don't think you really can stack them and not have them stick. If you lay them on their sides you'll have a whole lot less trouble. If you have pails that are stuck just run hot water over the outside pail it will expand and you'll be able to get the inside pail out real easy.

Kev
03-06-2011, 09:25 PM
How do you stack buckets and get them apart? Can't imagine the end of the season when there a little sappy

you can put a block of wood between each bottom, but its a pain in the keester.
if you wash them good before you put them away, its a little easier to get them apart next season if you didnt use blocks.
I usually get them back apart with one of those wooden blocks i didnt put between the buckets the year before.... its easier on them than the hammer.
my 2 cents
PS the higher you stack them the more weight is on the lower ones and the harder they come apart. but somthin tells me you knew that...

Haynes Forest Products
03-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Blow compressed air down the sides they will pop apart. Or do what KenW does drill the hole in the bottom and blow air in the hole and then complain about no sap:o

3rdgen.maple
03-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Haynes come on now. We all know Ken didnt drill the holes in the bottom of the bucket she who must be obeyed did. But now that you told him there were holes in the bottom he might figure out why they are empty and start yelling at she who must be obeyed. Im thinking he didnt get that honey do list done and she got her revenge on him in a bad way.

jmayerl
03-06-2011, 09:59 PM
I found that the cleaner the better before storing them. also if your like me and have a few different sizes make sure to put them if different stacks. a few 5 gallon mixxed with 4.5 gallon makes for a pain in the ars

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-07-2011, 07:16 AM
Main thing is to make sure they are completely dry and not a trace of moisture in them. Moisture makes them seal to a point they are nearly impossible to get apart but if they are very dry, they come apart easily if you are just softly stacking them together. I turn them upside down on a concrete floor for a few weeks and they are bone dry.

talahi maple products
03-07-2011, 07:24 AM
I wish this Question had been asked last year when I was using pails. I always dreaded the beating of the pail day.

Kev
03-07-2011, 07:31 AM
I wish this Question had been asked last year when I was using pails. I always dreaded the beating of the pail day.
When I helped Dad he always had us wash the buckets good before putting them away. when he "retired" from sugaring He came out when I was putting stuff away. he got on me for not washing the buckets out.
my reply was a just have to wash them again next season anyway. after that following season I will never put buckets away unwashed. I had funk and nastyness that took way to much elbow grease to get out besides the buckets stuck together. you would think at my age I would be willing to learn from someone elses mistakes more often....

C.Wilcox
03-07-2011, 09:53 AM

It's what's left unsaid in this quote that makes it so funny. Anyone that uses or has used pails knows exactly what the procedure looks like. It's amazing how a couple of plastic pails can drive a grown man to such incredible levels of frustration.

talahi maple products
03-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Amen to that!

JuniperHillSugar
03-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Last year I bought lots of pickle buckets, so I just hung mine upside down on the rafters of the sugarhouse during the off season. The smell appears to be gone and they are not stuck together.

I never stack buckets during the season, because the outside, that was just on the floor is now inside the clean bucket below it. Its like washing your hands then wiping them on a dirty towel to dry them off.