PDA

View Full Version : Canadian stainless fab guys?

BryanEx
03-06-2011, 06:59 PM
There are many fantastic custom pan makers in the States but the idea of shipping cross-border return for repairs or modification is daunting and expensive. Are there any talented and reliable custom stainless shops familiar with maple production in Canada? I'm thinking along the lines of Smoky Lake Maple Products, Stainless Steel Creations, Next Generation, W.F. Mason, & Wegner Metal Works just to name a few.

CBOYER
03-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Found this one in Qc: Jonathan Gouin, Soudure JG
in Ham-Nord Qc, 819-344-5305
Build and repair nearly anything in maple equipment
also sold sometimes reconditioned equipment
looks on this site of "buysell" in Qc: Lespac.com
# 23406687, #23425012, #23421433
it is in french, but if you need info , ask me.

Claude.

BryanEx
03-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Thank you CBOYER... Ham-Nord is about 4 hours away from me but still better than shipping something to be fixed or changed.

nas
03-06-2011, 07:52 PM
I think most suppliers deal with small shops for repairs, or they do it in house. I know Webers in Heidelberg will build flat pans, and he has a shop that he deals with that can build flue pans. I asked him for a price for a 3x2 syrup pan for my evaporator, and he was quite reasonably priced.

Nick

ennismaple
03-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Try McKay's Sheet Metal in Middleville (west of Almonte). Stephen Dodds from Springdale Farm Maple Products works there (his day job) and would know exactly what needs done to help you out. One of our old pans was made by them about 15 years ago and we recently had them repair a syrup re-heater.

BryanEx
03-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Atkinson Maple Syrup supply I believe does repairs as well.
I asked to have a thermometer fitting added to a filter tank and they said they couldn't do it and sugested finding someone local.

Try McKay's Sheet Metal in Middleville (west of Almonte). Stephen Dodds from Springdale Farm Maple Products works there (his day job) and would know exactly what needs done to help you out.
Much closer to my neck of the woods. I will check them out for sure.

jd maple
03-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Bryan there are welding and sheet metal shops in Ottawa that could repair or build what ever you need.

BryanEx
03-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Bryan there are welding and sheet metal shops in Ottawa that could repair or build what ever you need.

This is very true but I would like to find one that is also familiar with maple syrup so that if I request something but I'm going in the wrong direction they can advise me of such or perhaps point out any oversights. What I need is Jim or Bill to immigrate to Canada - preferably Eastern Ontario. :D

maple flats
03-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Welding would be better, but I soldered my thermometer fitting on my pan on my old 2x6. It only had one and I wnted one for each side. I jut made a hole using a greenlee punch and soldered it in. I used a solderinf iron, sal ammoniac , ss flux and silver solder. worked good.

wino
03-07-2011, 07:59 PM
I like to buy Canadian if I can, but an other option is to have a pan shipped to Massena N.Y. and cross over and pick it up.

Wino

BryanEx
03-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Ordering up a new item State side I have no issue with. Where things really become a hassle is shipping to the States for work then have it returned. One such example is I have a round filter tank that I want a thermometer fitting added to at a downward angle above the tap so the probe is below the cone filter and level with the tap intake. I either need to explain what I want to achieve or have someone familiar with sugaring that understands to do the work without trying to explain to customs two border crossings in the process.

Vandy
10-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Bryan, Did you ever find someone locally - Ottawa Area?