PDA

View Full Version : Definite Mistake

jmp
03-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Ok, boiled for the first time today. Got the sap in the pan (two dividers) to 214-215 in last two sections of pan closest to draw off point. Finished on a propane fired cooker and got temp to 219.5 (boiling point of water here today was 212.5). Filtered it. Too thin. Cold tested Brix was 59. What the hell did I do wrong! :o

Dividers are tack welded only, not tig welded. There must be a lot of movement under the dividers for one.

I must have made some other mistakes. Help guys!!!!! :)

John

3% Solution
03-06-2011, 06:46 PM
John,
Get yourself a hydrometer and cup.
You can't go wrong that way.
Temp varies so much at times.
Hope this helps!

Dave

maple flats
03-06-2011, 06:51 PM
With 30 taps on bua good year you should make between 30-45 gts of syrup. Spend the value of 1 qt to make sure they are right.

03-06-2011, 06:57 PM
the dividers should be tig welded and you can still boil it more

Bucket Head
03-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Been there. Done that. Did'nt like it. It has nothing to do with the pan or dividers. You can make syrup in a saucepan if you wanted. You did'nt make a mistake.

As stated above, get a hydrometer. However, you can still get close with the thermometer, but you have to go to about nine degree's over the boiling point. Trust me here. I have no idea where the seven degree's over the boiling point standard came from, but its wrong. I have made a ton of "almost syrup" here going with the seven degree thing. We now do nine over and its correct. Much "testing" has revealed this. I have commented here before at great length on this, and others will verify this for you.

Next time you boil go nine over and then come back here and share your results.

Steve

user587
03-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Been there. Done that. Did'nt like it. It has nothing to do with the pan or dividers. You can make syrup in a saucepan if you wanted. You did'nt make a mistake.

As stated above, get a hydrometer. However, you can still get close with the thermometer, but you have to go to about nine degree's over the boiling point. Trust me here. I have no idea where the seven degree's over the boiling point standard came from, but its wrong. I have made a ton of "almost syrup" here going with the seven degree thing. We now do nine over and its correct. Much "testing" has revealed this. I have commented here before at great length on this, and others will verify this for you.

Next time you boil go nine over and then come back here and share your results.

Steve

Buckethead, you are right on. I'm a newbie, so today I calibrated the thermometer to pure boiling water at 210. Using a hydrometer, found that we had syrup at 219/220 at the draw-off point. 9 degrees over water boiling point works for us, not 7.

Southtowns27
03-07-2011, 10:56 AM
The thermometer gets you in the ballpark, a hydrometer gets you a homerun. As others mentioned, go get one! It really is worth the $15 to know you're making "perfect" syrup.

red maples
03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
hydrometer!!! yesterday I hit 219* (although it was the end of the sap so I didn't get a draw off) but when I checked with the hydro it was 60-61 brix. I have found somedays you need to go 220,221,or even 223, before you get the correct measurement on the hydro. sheeting off the scooper too or you can use a spatula. Basically the drips will get a brief webbing between them. thats also a good sign it done or close to it.