PDA

View Full Version : 7/16 or 1/2 holes?

Pete S
03-06-2011, 03:29 PM
We have been tapping for our backyard operation for 5 years. We JUST set taps this mid day.

As our operation is small we keep purty much to the hand methods, with bit & brace, an old hammer, buckets and lids.

I couldn't believe it but the very end of the bit broke off in the tree. With just the little end of the screw broken off the bit wouldn't bore in anymore.

That was my only 7/16" bit for the brace.

Beings we didn't want to go to the cordless drill w/ paddle bit, and Fleet Farm is 8 miles away, we finished up with a 1/2" bit which I have several.

The taps fit fine, and I know it's only a 16th of an inch,..............but if it was a hole in "me", I'd perfer the smaller of the two.

Is the 16th inch larger hole going to bother?

Thanks!

wnybassman
03-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Is the 16th inch larger hole going to bother?

I think you will answer your own question soon enough.

Ausable
03-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Dang Pete S - Thats a good question - I use 7/16 steel spiles and they have a long enough taper to them that they would fit an 8/16 or 1/2 inch hole. Being - You have both size holes using the 7/16 spile You will be conducting a field test to prove one way or another - which works best. LOL - Please post the results of Your Official Spile Hole Field Test at the end of the 2011 Sugarin Season --- Have a great year ----- Mike

maple flats
03-06-2011, 07:02 PM
the 1/2 will give a little more sap but the tree will sustain more damage and take longer to heal. This is why most producers use a 5/16 spile, less damage to the tree. Too late now though, make no change now that the damage is done, just get a new bit before next year. Another good bit to use is a forstner bit but not practical for high production. Any bit designed to cut good clean sides and sharp enough to cut as designed, is good. The cleaner the cut the better to sap will flow.

Big_Eddy
03-07-2011, 09:24 AM
I tapped with a 1/2" bit for years. Trees healed over the same. 7/16 is better, but 1/2 isn't going to hurt anything.

Eric in Kinburn
03-08-2011, 02:27 PM
I have been tapping with a 1/2" Irwin bit on a hand brace for the last 2 years. So far no noticeable damage, but maybe I should buy a 7/16" bit. I agree that the smaller the hole the better for the tree, but I didn't think 1/16" would make a difference...maybe I'm wrong.

I'm also curious to see what other people think as I'm about to head out and tap my first trees of the year.

Eric