PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of foam?

Farmboy
03-06-2011, 01:47 PM
I have a coffee maker that I bottle with and I get foam in the top of my jugs. How do I prevent this?

collinsmapleman2012
03-06-2011, 01:56 PM
dont open it as much, turbulence causes the foam

wnybassman
03-06-2011, 02:38 PM
I've recently discovered that letting the syrup run down the side of the inside of the jug dramatically reduced the foam.

Kinda like filling a cup of beer out of a keg ;)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Bascoms sells a chrome bottling valve and I couldn't find it on their website but it is about $ 20 and it necks down the flow and does a really good job. I use a stainless ball valve behind it to open and close the flow of the syrup and this valve makes a nice steady stream and you can bottle without any foam.

As I have said before, you can't beat an LED headlamp while bottling as it allows you to see the level of syrup in the bottle as it is filling.

Brent
03-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Just go slower. Filling too fast will cause the foam.

I'm assuming you are talking about bubbles as you are filling. Getting foam after you've capped is a different issue.

Littlesap
03-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Brent, what does it mean when you get foam after you bottle? Feel like there wasn't this much foam in the syrup when I bottled but there is now and it seems kind of thick (the foam).

Kev
03-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Bascoms sells a chrome bottling valve and I couldn't find it on their website but it is about $ 20 and it necks down the flow and does a really good job. I use a stainless ball valve behind it to open and close the flow of the syrup and this valve makes a nice steady stream and you can bottle without any foam.

As I have said before, you can't beat an LED headlamp while bottling as it allows you to see the level of syrup in the bottle as it is filling.

I used that idea last night it was very helpfull. Now after reading the thread on mason jars I see I could have had several more qts bottled had I only put 32 ounces in each LOL

Brent
03-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Foam after bottling that I have seen is tiny bubbles. If you lay your hot bottles on their sides and leave them that way while they cool, the syrup and bit of air contract as they cool. The creates a vacuum and you will see a tiny stream of bubbles coming in leaks around the cap. You can avoid this by standing the bottles upright about 5 minutes or so after filling (needed to sterilze the cap)