PDA

View Full Version : air lock

chefchap
03-06-2011, 10:20 AM
what is the best way to deal with air locks in a gravity fed line
ty

Maplesedge
03-06-2011, 11:05 AM
I only have drop lines, 5/16 tubing, and the longest ones are maybe 12 feet, where I have one sap bag between 2 trees and had the same problem. I took someones advice in a post here and opened a small vent hole in the tubing, up near the tap, on the top side, and it's working perfect for me, no more air lock, sap all runs down into the bag.

TF Maple
03-06-2011, 02:03 PM
what is the best way to deal with air locks in a gravity fed line
ty

By air lock do you mean lines full of sap? That really isn't an air lock. It is just the way the lines fill up with sap and if you have good enough slope it will create natural vacuum if you don't open a vent hole. Opening a vent hole will let the sap out but lets bacteria in which will make the holes dry out faster.

maple flats
03-06-2011, 02:13 PM
That is right, do not vent gravity lines. They are not air locked, they are just moving at the rate the taps are filling them (even if there is no movement).

PerryW
03-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Don't vent the lines. Sure, a vent will allow the line to drain, but you will eliminate the natural vacuum, and allow the introduction of bacteria into the lines and overall; you will get less sap.

If is normal to have bubbles in the 5/16" lateral lines. Once the sap starts running those bubbles will be smoking down those lines.

Maplesedge
03-06-2011, 09:36 PM
By air lock do you mean lines full of sap? That really isn't an air lock. It is just the way the lines fill up with sap and if you have good enough slope it will create natural vacuum if you don't open a vent hole. Opening a vent hole will let the sap out but lets bacteria in which will make the holes dry out faster.

So do bucket tap holes dry out faster than those on tubing?

TF Maple
03-06-2011, 09:44 PM

It all depends on bacteria contamination so if the tubing keeps away the bacteria it could be better.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-07-2011, 07:12 AM

In my experience over past 20 years, overall my buckets always quit running before my tubing does.