PDA

View Full Version : Tapped to early?

sweet 55
03-06-2011, 09:07 AM
I have had some trees tapped on gravity tubing since just before valentines day . Last year I got it right by doing this as I got the first run. This year It seems that tapping early was a mistake. I have used the new checkvalves and new stubby spouts. I have yet to boil any sap. By the 21st of February I was finished tapping with my pipeline, around 600 taps . Last weekend I hung buckets 50/60 with a few more to go, when I can get out and not be soaked with todays rain.. There is very little sap in my tanks and buckets , and I am inclined to let it freeze ,maybe to help keep future sap cool. There is not enough to even sweeten the pan , The lines have been cleaned by letting the sap in the tanks to run on the ground. I am ready to go!!!.I am concerned that the tap holes will dry out before the season even starts. I am hoping that those check valves help. If not when should I consider retapping,{ If at all}....

Worried in Westford VT

cooleyvillefarm
03-06-2011, 10:05 AM
hey sweet 55.....I tapped on feb 14 and was also worried about my holes drying out early...i talked to an old sugar man and he told me the holes wont dry out as long as its cold out.....I sure hope he's right..gathered this morning and got 60 gals fm 190 buckets....good luck to ya...Gary

maplecrazy
03-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I too tapped in early (greedy) the weather man said it was going to be warm for a few days in feb and i could'nt take it. My ? is what is considered cold weather to hold holes from healing ? Anyone help with this?

wnybassman
03-06-2011, 02:42 PM
I tapped a few in early to mid February when a lot of guys did also, and they seem to be doing just as well as the ones I tapped last week. A couple of those taps are on the same tree for a good side-by-side comparison.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-06-2011, 02:42 PM
If it is cold you will be fine. Bacteria can't grow in cold hold and as long as you are not seeing warm temps like 50's and 60's, you will be fine.