PDA

View Full Version : Apple syrup?

sawyerkirk
03-06-2011, 08:40 AM
We make many, many several gallons of apple juice each year, I don't know the sugar content of apple juice, so I was wondering if anyone had ever boiled some down or added it to their syrup?

C.Wilcox
03-06-2011, 09:11 AM
They sell cider syrup out west around the Oregon/Washington area. It's exactly what it sounds like. Cider that's been boiled down to syrup and it's pretty tasty in my opinion. I don't think I would add any to my maple syrup because the flavors are so different, but if I had plenty of apple juice I would definitely boil some down.

Kev
03-06-2011, 09:14 AM
makes me wonder what grape syrup would be like...

Mark72
03-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Sounds interesting, Diversifying during the off season for more income from the sugar house. Has anyone switched pans on their evaporator for sorghum?

Mark

mapleack
03-06-2011, 12:16 PM
You can make apple syrup. Just be completely sure you don't use lead soldered pans. The acidity of the cider would pull out massive amounts of lead.

KenWP
03-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Big problem would be keeping the sugars from burning before you get to syrup.

firetech
03-06-2011, 08:17 PM
I've made different flavors of maple syrup thru the years, all accidently we use recycled food grade buckets. Some were ice cream flavorings. Grape(good for BBQ sauce),strawberry kiwi(very good flavor combo w/maple), and fruit punch(just wrong) are now to my credit. haha As far as the apple syrup thing I tried it last fall buy buying some very good cider and boiled it down 10gal to 1.5 gal. Put it in 8 oz syrup bottles some with a cinnomin stick and other plain. The syrup gelled pretty good and dosen't pour real well out of the bottle. The flavor is very intense great on pork chops and ham. And as far as swapping out the pans for sorghum,yes I'll not put anything but maple sap in my drop flue pan. Brand new in 2010. I cook in flat pans batch method and I finsh on a gas burner. Just shareing experiences.

Revi
03-06-2011, 09:06 PM
We made apple syrup with friend who has an orchard for a couple of years. It is fun and is the world's best pan cleaner. You don't want to boil it down as much as you do with maple syrup. It is concentrated apple flavor and was used by the colonists a lot.

DrTimPerkins
03-07-2011, 10:28 AM
We make many, many several gallons of apple juice each year, I don't know the sugar content of apple juice, so I was wondering if anyone had ever boiled some down or added it to their syrup?

If you do this, be sure to NOT use a lead-soldered evaporator or a lead-soldered canner (or a milk can). Apple juice is far more acidic than sap, and will leech lead out of solder very rapidly. You (and your wife and kids) will end up with a whopping dose of lead in the concentrated juice.