PDA

View Full Version : Passing it on, laterally.

Maplesedge
03-06-2011, 06:36 AM
My ancestors are mostly French Canadien and a little Algonkquin, so I'm sure some of them made sirop somewhere along the line. But I'm the only one in my generation that does it, until now.

My sister always hit me up for sirop, she loves it too, and this year has got her husband to come out with me and learn the basics. I gave him a bunch of stuff to start small and he's going to tap today. Funny though, not her, are there any women that boil? Must be.

Now I can borrow his wine and beer making equipment and make some mead with all the extra honey I'll get this year.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-06-2011, 07:31 AM
yes there are a few women on here that boil and husbands help or watch which is really cool

maple flats
03-06-2011, 03:33 PM
My wife boils while I gather sap. We both then work together until things are close to finished. Then she leaves and I finish up and shut down.

KV Sappers
03-06-2011, 04:37 PM
'are there any women that boil?'
Yep we ladies collect and boil also. First time for me and I just love it. 6 taps and so far 1 gal and a quart of syrup.

Jim Brown
03-06-2011, 06:26 PM
My wife can run the rig while I gather sap . She is a little unconfortable at it yet but not afraid to step up.

Jim

SugarShay
03-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Another woman here! :D

One who is not so patiently waiting for the sap to start running... :lol:

Sue @ Battel's Sugar Bush
03-07-2011, 07:21 AM
I'm with SugarShay, not-so-patiently waiting to get started here in Michigan.

Maplesedge
03-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Patience is the hardest part.

The last week and a half here were cold and slow, but now it's warming a bit.

I collected more sap today than all of last week.

My brother-in-law has tapped his first two taps, gotten his first sap, and is just asking one question after another.

Looks like he's gonna have a fun time. :D

Maplesedge
03-19-2011, 11:49 PM
My brother-in-law just finished his first ever syrup today. He tapped 12 days ago, boiled up 6 gals at a time in a turkey smoker and finished his first quart on the stove today.

He's just thrilled.

Like the saying goes: Give a man some syrup and he can sweeten for a day. But teach him how to make syrup and he can sit outside and drink beer until the buds open.