PDA

View Full Version : divider issue!!!!!!

rinert
03-05-2011, 11:39 PM
I am getting a new pan made by a school and they said that they could not weld the divider in solid. Would tack welding work if they tack it every 2" or should I just have them make it a batch pan.

if any one have any input have to tell them on Monday.

03-06-2011, 06:50 AM
maybe afterward you could have someone finish the welds up

Haynes Forest Products
03-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Once you get the rig up and running adding welds can be tricky because of the niter build up under the seams. What guage is the steel and if they can stitch weld every 2" how long will the welds be. Tacked to me is a small area about 1/8" on thin material. Now if your talking 1/4" weld every 2" that might work with heavy sheet but not 22G HELLO Jim Schumacker Calling all fabricators.

rinert
03-06-2011, 09:24 AM
they are using 18g ss and they tried to stich weld on some scrap and said that it warped.
help!!!!

Brent
03-06-2011, 09:25 AM
The issue is not really how much welding is done but how big the gaps are between the pan and the divider. If it is tacked close together, and there is a gap that you can just slide a piece of paper under ( about 4 thousandths of an inch) , then it will have little or no effect on the syrup gradient. But if your pan deforms, which many do, and you start to get gaps 1/32 or 1/16" then you may lose a little gradient. It's not a big deal, you'll still make syrup.

Try not to shock the pan bottom with sudden thermal changes that the dividers do not get. If you scorch the pan, you'll get huge gaps that will be un-coverable.

Haynes Forest Products
03-06-2011, 09:46 AM
rinert Small welds till its tacked in place and heat sinks under the weld and clamp it in place. You cant do a running weld because as the heat builds up Before the weld it will just keep going bad. Are they bending a right angle lip on the divider and welding the lip? Having a butt joint wont let you get a quick tack weld without laying down to much welding wire. They dont want to add to much material to the weld thats what will add to the warping. Lastly do they have a spot welder at the shop? Thats the way to get the dividers in without distortion. Bend a 1/2 90 degree lip and spot weld.

Shadley's Maple Syrup
03-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Ok evaporated off 65 gall last night 2x3x1 20ga homemade pan. When i welded in the dividers how much gap should i have left on oposit ends of the dividers? all tight but for what? I'm sure i did it wrong cuz it ended up being a batch boil! could not find any answers here or anything anywere! need to fix this asap!!! if i where to do it all over i would have did just that bent 90s and spot welded it!!!!!!!!!!