PDA

View Full Version : tapped in vermont

vtwoodsman385
03-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Finished our 900 today

PARKER MAPLE
03-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Vtwoodsman, its go time down here, im sure i will be boiling for the first time this season tomorrow. It was running like crazy today. I havent tapped any buckets so i was rushing around looking for everything and hanging them as fast as i could.
Good luck

Maple Rookie

hammer460
03-05-2011, 09:08 PM
tapped at noon, and holes were dry. went back at 5p.m. and sap was starting to run. Now we have to deel with rain/snow mix tommorow then 8-10 in. of wet snow.

steve J
03-06-2011, 09:07 AM
I been taped for a week my trees started to run mid afternoon yesterday but they were moving slowly. I picked up 10 gals this morning and my lines produced another 12 gals but with the storm coming we packed up and left as there would not be enough to fire up today. I will go back up Wed and stay thru the weekend at that time

hammer460
03-06-2011, 09:43 AM
went and checked buckets at 10a.m. and had couple of inches in all of em. trees stopped running, and now waiting for the snow.

jlemieux
03-06-2011, 12:12 PM
hammer 460 can't believe you tapped already, way too early. 10 day forecast stinks. hope your buckets don't get plowed in the snowbank tonite.
Aren't you the guy who uses 30 year old tubing and runs 5 drops into each 2 gallon bucket. Hope you boiled that tubing, that will really help. I wonder what Dr. Tim would say?

hammer460
03-06-2011, 12:34 PM
jlemiuex its better to be tapped now than to wade around in the future snow!! only tapped the woods and no roadside. bring on the bacteria!!

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-06-2011, 05:04 PM
wooooohooooo firing her up boys im so STOKED:o

northwoods_forestry
03-07-2011, 05:48 AM
Boiled in another 200 gallons yesterday and took off about 5 gallons of syrup. It didn't start running her till late afternoon on Saturday and then it fizzled out on mid-day Sunday.

Woke up this am to an ice covered world. Trees are snapping as I write this. I'm amazed we still have power! I've a feeling the tubing lines are going to be a mess.

Old County Road
03-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi Northwoods - I was wondering if you have an estimate of gallons per tap you collected from Saturday afternoon through Sunday when it began to shut down?

I've tapped 70 sugar maples on my property in West Halifax, VT - but I live three hours away - so I'm trying to figure out if a mid-week trip to VT to boil makes sense. I'm guessing the weather/temps in Newfane are pretty similar to what happens in West Halifax - which is under 15 miles away as the crow flies - so I probably had a similar yield.

Thanks for your time.

PARKER MAPLE
03-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Old county road, I would bet on it being the same anywhere around here. I tapped on the same date as northwoods and have yet to see a good run. Im getting pretty disapointed with my sugarbush had thesame problem last season. Sap just didnt come for me. I live about 15-30 min from northwoods (assuming) and have two bushs going now one in andover and one in londonderry. only gathered apprx 60 gals all weekend. So I will still wait but i hope it turns around here shortly. man I dont want another season like last year.

Good Luck
Maple Rookie

miller
03-07-2011, 02:43 PM
went and checked buckets at 10a.m. and had couple of inches in all of em. trees stopped running, and now waiting for the snow.

hammer460 have you shoveled the wood shed roof yet????????
it must be getting deep.
Watch your stack,I knew your stack went up to early.
A few drips is not considered running ha ha

hammer460
03-07-2011, 06:24 PM
All the snow blew off my roof, but there is a two ft. drift inside. Hey atleast my stack is up.

steve J
03-07-2011, 08:16 PM
We got so much snow up were my bush is they are telling me that it will be 3 days before they can plow my 250 foot drive so i can get into my camp and because it started after a night of heavy rain there is a bunch of slush on the bottom they are going to have to use a bucket loader vs a plow geeesh this has been one hell of a winter

Justinmaple
03-08-2011, 12:42 AM
I ran around like a monkey all day Friday setting taps for the "big run " I was hoping for on Saturday. Well guess what? That run didn't amount to anything b/c the temps at my house never got above 35 much less the low 40's that were predicted. The tap holes from previous years were undetectable on some trees. You know why? They were buried under the 3' of snow I already had. Now guess what????????????? I have 3 more feet of snow!!!!!!!! Oh f**king great! Are we ever going to get started in Northern VT? AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

hammer460
03-08-2011, 05:19 AM
maybe you can get goodrich's to put your stack up!!!!

PFHII
03-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Well we finally got started 1400 buckets up and Burried now. 3 feet of snow yesterday nothing like a game of hide and seek....Good luck to you all this year hoping for a better one then last years! :-)

miller
03-08-2011, 02:38 PM
maybe you can get goodrich's to put your stack up!!!!

maybe you should have tapped more than 25 now the snow is a$$ high to a ten foot indian good luck roadside

jlemieux
03-08-2011, 07:35 PM
tapped at noon, and holes were dry. went back at 5p.m. and sap was starting to run. Now we have to deel with rain/snow mix tommorow then 8-10 in. of wet snow.

It's too bad that you had more drinks than the number of buckets you put out. Hope you weren't too tired! Better luck next time.

hammer460
03-08-2011, 08:40 PM
I feel so embarassed, i didn't collect any sap and you got 20 gal. That'll probably evaporate before you boil it!!!

jlemieux
03-12-2011, 09:45 PM
I feel so embarassed, i didn't collect any sap and you got 20 gal. That'll probably evaporate before you boil it!!!

Actually it froze. Got everything unthawed today, had 170 gallons of sap at 2%. Well at least my pans are sweet now! Maybe make something on the next run?

hammer460
03-12-2011, 10:07 PM
just got done boiling my 55 gal. None of my help showed up, bunch of slackers. tapped 75 in the dark and fog, had a hard time finding the hole after drilling it........pans are sweet. Like burning the softwood, shuts down fast, one last bud light i had to swail!!!

dabamvt
03-14-2011, 05:39 AM
Finished tapping this weekend. We ended up with a total of 1455. Big jump from the 505 we did last year! Hopefully, we won't be in over our heads. Had a little bit of a run, approximately 225 gallons. Just enough to fill the pan and get things sweet.

Gravel
03-14-2011, 06:44 AM
First boil of the season was a success, everything went well and made a gallon of syrup!

farmall h
03-15-2011, 08:32 PM
All tapped as of Sunday evening. Ran good Sunday, Ran real good today...Oaknuts and Rolaids did first boil, don't know what they made for gallons but it graded as med. amber. Looking forward to the FANCY!:D