PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermaid stock tanks

mapleman3
08-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Who was it that said they have used the rubermaid stock tanks? the farmers supply near me has a 150gal fo 129... and a 300 gal for $196.
thats cheaper than the Galvanized, I am thinking of in the woods for tubing. it shouldn't get too much sun and heat up. any comments??? are the prices good?

rubbermaid link
http://www.rubbermaid.com/hpd/consumer/product/list.jhtml
Jim

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
08-05-2003, 07:22 PM
Jim,

I have a Rubbermaid stock tank that I use and have used in the past. I can buy 150 gallon galvanized for $ 82.00 and 250 gallon for $ 112.00. The galvanized are always cheaper anywhere I have ever found.

The problem I have with Rubbermaid over galvanized is most of the Rubbermaid ones are darker color, so they attract the sun more and warm the sap. The good thing about galvanized is that they are metal, so they will help keep the sap cooler usually than plastic and they don't tend to attract as much heat.

Just my opinion for the 2 cents its worth.

Brandon

syrupmaker
08-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Jim, a simple lean too over the top seemed to work for us.Just lean it so there is around 6" of room between the top of the tank and the lean so air can get between the two and it wont hold heat. Just be sure to make it large enough so it shades through out the day.

Rick

mapleman3
08-07-2003, 01:21 PM
Great Idea Rick, I will do just that. if I could get Galv tanks cheaper around here I would. but the rubbermaid should do just fine.
Jim

jmattice
08-08-2003, 03:14 PM
Jim,
I've also used rubbermaid stock tanks for quite a long time. They are relatively cheap and are easy to clean. The one I have graduates down in size from top to bottom, so when I get to the last ring, I know I can't add too much more wood!
John

Russell Lampron
09-06-2003, 12:06 PM
Jim

I also use the Rubbermaid tanks both in the woods and at the sugerhouse.
They won't rust or put lead in your syrup. I gather the sap as soon as
possible after a run and boil it the same night or day if I am lucky
enough to have sap run on the weekend. I use a pop sap filter to strain
out the big stuff when I drain out the gathering tank and a water filter
from Home Depot that has replaceable filters when I pump it into the
tank that feeds the evaporator. I haven't had any sap go bad and have
never made any off flavored syrup. Have you got your new rig set up
yet? If so have you done a test fire?

Russ

mapleman3
09-06-2003, 01:43 PM
Russ Thanks for the info... the rig is set up but I havn't test fired yet, I want to re roof the sugarhouse with metal, so I won't put the stack up through yet. I,m going to look at a free stock tank tomorrow, that has been kept in a barn for a long time. so I may need to only buy 1 rubbermaid.
Jim

michaelh05478
09-06-2003, 04:42 PM
Jim, If you have any ice cream or cheeses plants around check with them, Ben and Jerrys ice cream here has 300 gal square tanks with metal cages that they usually give away or sell cheap, i brought mine to a car wash and cleaned it uo good. They usually have some kind of liguid (syrup or cocoa) and there great for sap....just a thought.......

mapleman3
09-06-2003, 05:03 PM
Thanks Mike, I'll check with Hood in nearby Agawam.
I also can get those at a local barrel place here, something about non toxic wood pulp was in it... not sure about that... they get $50 for them
Jim

mapleman3
09-07-2003, 07:20 PM
Jeremy I should be able to pressure wash it and throw some bleech in it and rinse real good... should be ok I think, plus if I get it early enough and keep it open in the barn, and odors hopefully will air out..? think thats ok??
Jim

ps I picked up the stock tank, I think it was more of an old gathering tank, a lil bit of rust inside and it had som hay and stuff like a critter got in to live. it has a 14" round hole on top to be able to clean inside... who carries the galvanizing paint that they redo sap buckets with? I will coat the inside of it .

mapleman3
09-08-2003, 08:33 AM
I found the answer to my question, ICI Devoe(used to be Glidden) carries an epoxy paint called Bar-Rust 233h for potable water lining, will work great on galv. tanks, I have 2 I have to do, both have lead solder which will be coated and made safe. the coating should also make it alot easier to clean and it is white in color. my cost through work is $57. for a 1 gallon kit, I don't know how much it would be if you don't have an account. I'll post when I use it to let ya know how it is.

Jim