PDA

View Full Version : sharpening bits

maple island farms
03-05-2011, 04:28 PM
I was wonderin if anyone has ideas about the best way to get a good point on my tapin bit .

Thanks

Haynes Forest Products
03-05-2011, 04:43 PM
If you dont know how to sharpen a drill bit your going to do more harm than good. I have a drill Dr and it even screws up 1/2 the bits I have. Using a bad bit will cause you more trouble than spending the money on a new one. It doesn't have to me a Maple tree bit. IT NEEDS TO BE A SHARP DRILL BIT that is the size you want. The bits I use are short titanium coated bits that YES I got from a Maple supply. They still have the coating on them after 6 years so there is no reason to even think of sharpening them. All it takes to change the entire dynamic of a drill bit is to sharpen the wrong angle on it or have one side longer than the other.

maple flats
03-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Haynes, you must be doing something wrong or you have a problem with the unit. I am on my second one, I wore out a 250 diamond wheel and they are not replaceable and I bought the better one. Either have never failed IF SET UP PROPERLY. They put a perfect point on everytime. I have rarely had success sharpening by hand but some do. I have yet to sharpen a tapping bit however, never needed to. What angle are they, I think it is dofferent than the 2 angles my Drill Dr will do, they look steeper.

Haynes Forest Products
03-05-2011, 07:40 PM
IF I allow the locator clips to set the drill bit with the flutted bits I get a back cut everytime. Man do they squeeeeeeeeeeeel