PDA

View Full Version : getting frustrated

boondocker
03-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Im starting to second guess my gravity pipeline maybe you guys can give me some reassurance. i have about 65 to 70 tree savers on 5/16 branch line running into 1/2 main line. i have the top hill ends of the main plugged like they say to do, and all my branch lines and main line have more than enough angle. it all runs into a 55 gal. drum at the bottom of the hill. The lines always seem to be full but nothing in the barrel. i havent got but maybe 3 gal. of sap so far this season on the pipline, and a little more from my buckets. it just seems my buckets always produce more than the pipeline........ am i just jumping the gun here or do i need to do something different. this is my second year on gravity and last year dident pan out on the ridge i was on so i tapped a new bush this year and went right by the book as far as setting up the system....... or so i thought. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance josh

sapsick
03-05-2011, 04:15 PM
i think you just need to give it a little time. a couple test buckets i have in Newburgh have done nothing yet. keep the faith or get a differrent book!

Notch Woodwork
03-05-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm all gravity as well and was expecting things to getting running today. Barely a trickle. Too **** cold, it was -9 when I got up yesterday morning. Hang in there, it will be gushing in no time.

abbott
03-05-2011, 06:17 PM
High here was 36. Even with the vacuum running i couldn't pull any sap out of the line. I guess the trees are still hibernating...

TapME
03-05-2011, 06:46 PM
it will take maybe 2 days for the trees to thaw before they give any good sap. Hang in there is good. This is still early for sap to run good. We need a nice sunny day with temps in the upper 30's to get things going real good.

gmcooper
03-05-2011, 07:02 PM
I spent all day tapping and nothing was running. A few wet holes but nothing more than that.

Revi
03-05-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm glad to know that we weren't the only ones to get nothing today. It was dripping a little, but I was expecting to get some sap today with temps over 40.

Maybe the trees will wake up tomorrow.

I am not counting on much until later in the week when they are predicting temps in the high 30's and low 40's and sunny. Then we may see some sap.

abbott
03-06-2011, 07:43 AM
I've got sap this morning in Sumner. Not an impressive stream, but enough that i should be able to fire up the arch this PM.

lakeview maple
03-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Im having the same problem,I dont think its a problem tho I think that the sap is just not running that well yet,my main lines are full but not much in the tank,there still not running and my set up is on a hill that a goat would love,the buckets we have out are not producing much either ,so have a little patients and get ready for the big run.God bless and may your sugar be high,AL

chefchap
03-06-2011, 10:29 AM
having same deal with my gravity i was out today friggin with it tightening up in places and pulled tap on top of hill and blowed to see if i had a clog put no such luck blue lines were empty and my 1/2 inch main line was full so tightened it up and some ran into my 55 gallon barrel but my trees with bucket on them all had about 3 gallons of sap each very frustrating
this is my first year tryin gravity not a fan as of yet

boondocker
03-06-2011, 01:03 PM
hey thanks guys for the comments. its good to see im not the only one. went out this morning and new i was gonna have a bad day when i went to the chicken coop and found one of my hens died, and the buckets on the way there only had about an inch or so in them. i know its early im just excited to get this show on the road. everybody i have talked to around here havent been getting much of anything, so its the waiting game now.:rolleyes:

BryanEx
03-06-2011, 01:14 PM
went out this morning and new i was gonna have a bad day when i went to the chicken coop and found one of my hens died...
Same here, and it always seems to be the favourites that go first. Chickens are bored from being indoors all winter and they literally pecked one to death last week. I'm looking for sap, chickens are looking for bugs... seems we are all waiting for spring to happen.

03-06-2011, 07:21 PM
i have the same problem sap just doesnt want to come out of the line bryan ex the reason one of your hens was pecked to death is that it was probaly sick because that is how they get rid of the weak

Revi
03-06-2011, 08:38 PM
We are back in the maple beezneez now! We had a bit of a run today. One of the buckets we tapped was about half full, so we put the mainline into the tank and had a steady stream. We may have enough to boil by Wednesday. It may be time to sweeten the pan soon!

twitch
03-07-2011, 06:38 AM
Same here, and it always seems to be the favourites that go first. Chickens are bored from being indoors all winter and they literally pecked one to death last week. I'm looking for sap, chickens are looking for bugs... seems we are all waiting for spring to happen.

Put salt in there water there after the blood that has salt in it. Put salt in let them drink it for 2 days and fresh water for 3 and rotate it worked for me i think or they just decided to stop pecking each other.