PDA

View Full Version : Steam hood fan.

Lyle
12-07-2005, 02:01 PM
I am planning to fabricate a steam hood for my evaporator and was considering using a duct fan in the stack to help draw off the steam since I was going to suspend it over the flue pan. I have seen lots of posts on the subject of hoods but have never heard anyone mention trying this.Thoughts or suggestions anyone :?:

Maple Flats
12-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Fan not needed, the steam will rise well without a fan to boost it as long as you have the right size stack.

powerdub
12-07-2005, 07:25 PM
A good friend of mine has a hood over over the front pan and pulls the steam out with a fan just like you are talking about. Works great the only draw back I can see is it is cold in there. He has added a small furnace to heat the place some.

mapleman3
12-07-2005, 07:38 PM
I think the quicker you get rid of the steam the better as far as moisture removal, but, if your using a preheater you won't heat the sap as efficiently also maybe less condensate for the never ending supply of hot water.

Parker
12-08-2005, 04:46 AM
I had a aluminum hood built for my 5x6 syrup pan,,it has a 22" dia. stack we did not need a fan most of the season BUT on overcast rainey days then real late in the season the stack just did not suck fast enough,,,wound up putting a regular window fan on to of the stack and that worked great,,if I were building another hood I would put a fan in it

mountainvan
12-08-2005, 06:39 AM
a guy over the mountains has a turbine vent on his steam stack and says it works great. plus no electricity needed.