PDA

View Full Version : help fix my filter please

oldboyscout
03-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Hi,
I somehow burned a 1/4" diameter hole in my orlon syrup filter and not sure what to do about it.
Any ideas on how to fix?
thanks!

Sugarmaker
03-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Sorry, but I would consider a new one.
Chris

3rdgen.maple
03-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Quick fix is to take a peice of copper wire or similar and twist it around the hole to seal it up. Another choice is some thread and a needle or go get another one.

Haynes Forest Products
03-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Buy a filter press. Because when I got mine the first thing I did was burn my filters on the burn pile:)

brookledge
03-04-2011, 08:39 PM
You might be able to tie something around the hole like 3rdgen said. However for the costof a new one I'd just buy a new one
Keith

oldboyscout
03-04-2011, 09:05 PM
unfortunately they're $30 around here, so I'd like to try to repair first.
It is also amazingly slow. I gather a filter press is better?

3rdgen.maple
03-04-2011, 09:09 PM
If your not going to spend 30 bucks on a filter you not going to want to spend a grand or better on a filter press. If you order a filter from bascoms they are like half the price of what you are spending local.

maple flats
03-05-2011, 05:08 AM
And the shipping brings it up closer. Try the repair but you might not get as clear syrup, as some sugar sand gets thru the repair. Also, never wring out the filter, it breaks fibers and lowers the ability to filter properly.

Dennis H.
03-05-2011, 07:09 AM
You can pick up a nice new 5" filter press from Daryl, He is up in the NW part of PA. Really nice CNC work. Well worth the money.
I filtered as little as 2 gals with it, you just less plates and papers.

If you really need to have it fixed now I would just take a piece of wire or even a wire tie and tie off the hole. It won't be perfect but it would work for the time being.

But seriously, think about the filter press route. Way faster and way less wasted syrup.

3rdgen.maple
03-05-2011, 08:35 AM
I really like the looks and size of Daryls press and plan on having one in the sugarhouse nex year.
However Dennis there is no waste on a cone filter if you use it and clean it right.

oldboyscout
03-05-2011, 09:00 AM
I appreciate all the advice. I only have 8 trees tapped now, so I've been able to keep the syrup below the hole in the filter. Next year, or if the sap flows more than it has been so far, I'll need a fix. Sounds like the press is it.
BTW, are the 4 tabs on top of the filter designed for a specific contraption to hang it by?

3rdgen.maple
03-05-2011, 09:07 AM
with only 8 taps a filter press is out of the question, you need a few gallons to evev fire one up.