PDA

View Full Version : UPC codes & grocery stores

DaveB
03-04-2011, 10:38 AM
There's a local store near me that is interested in selling some of our syrup and we'll talk next month after the season about the details. Someone asked me about a UPC code and I hadn't thought about that. We're actually working on a custom container with Sugarhill and they told us that they could add one so I know how to get it on the container, but I'm not sure which type of code that I should get.

To get an "official" UPC code with your own "manufacturers" number, it costs $750. There are other outfits that I can get one for $20. The number would be unique, but the manufacturer number (the first few digits) would not be. I read some where that grocery stores like to have unique manufacturer numbers. Does anyone sell syrup at a local grocery store and use a UPC code? What did you do?

Thanks!

Dave

DaveB
03-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Bump

I take it that no one uses or has a UPC code on their syrup containers because no one has responded?

Does anyone sell in markets? We've sold in some Mom & Pops but I don't know about stores that scan items. Does anyone on here sell in such a market?

Thanks...Dave

michiganfarmer2
03-11-2011, 10:21 AM
cherryfarmer does. he has a 5x14 evaporator for sale in teh classifieds. Post in his thread and ask him

wdchuck
03-11-2011, 05:23 PM
I do mostly wholesale direct to the markets and have found that the bar code was a good investment- without it you dont get in a lot doors.I think it only cost me $500 at the time.....You get the first five digits as your unique number and the second 5 are needed for each individual price point- the store will enter that into their system when you first deliver or need to change prices. Asfor the unofficial numbers. I've got no experience with them, so cant really comment.