PDA

View Full Version : SUCKED IN

markcasper
12-06-2005, 03:17 AM
Hi, I am just writing to let anyone know how much enjoyment I have recieved since discovering this site about a week ago! I guess you could say that I have, as my wife says, gotten SUCKED IN! Since its so cold out and I have the day/night off from work, its nice to just sit and explore. For literal hours!

I have seen others introduced, so its time I introduce myself.

I am 31, married with a new daughter 2 months ago (I made sure she would not be born during sugaring)

Have made syrup since 1985, learning from my grandfather who dabbled on and off since he was a youngster.

I had 1200 taps last year (2005) 1100 on tubing, 900 of which were vacumm and 100 bags. Also was buying sap from 300 bags/saks for a total of 1500. I have had as many as 2000 in '03.

I boil on a 4x12 wood-fired King with preheater and forced air.

One time, I myself logged 42 hours of non-stop cooking. I was a wreck after that!! :oops:

I have had a couple years where I logged 700, 800 gallons of syrup with the 4x12. Anyone think that is crazy?? So do I!! 8O I am hoping for a new saphouse in the next year or two and the 4x12 is not moving, other than on someones trailer. I just love this site!! :D :D Mark

mapleman3
12-06-2005, 05:37 AM
I'll be the first to welcome you and your family to this site... yes it's a great site, first thing I do in the morning,check posts on the Trader, Lots to learn and teach, with the amount of syrup made by you some of us will be looking to you for answers :wink: don't forget though, you have to take a break from the trader to eat and sleep once in a while :lol: :wink:

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
12-06-2005, 06:43 AM
post edited

Maple Flats
12-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Welcome markcasper, you have the right place. Sounds like you have some great experience. Over time we will pick your brain I'm sure. Pull up a sap bucket, sit back and enjoy the comerodery here.

Sugarmaker
12-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Mark,
Welcome from Albion Pa also.
Yea I guess I have been sucked in as well. Spending a lot of time the past couple of weeks getting used to the Maple trader site and deer hunting. This is really interesting following the information about R.O.'s. I am interested in R.O's but we just are not big enough to really need one yet. And they do sound somewhat complicated. Really like the site, Now if I could just type faster.

emericksmaple
12-06-2005, 08:18 PM
I don't understand all you guys being scared of these RO's. They are the best thing next to buttered bread if you ask me. We have had one for 14 years and I don't think we could ever go wihtout one again. We stared out with an old Coster and had it for 13yrs, and just last year bought a new Springtech from Leader. They are so simple to operate an kid can do it. I figured out with our RO we are making a gallon of syrup to a little less than one gallon of oil. And the time I save in the camp, Well that's another story.

markcasper
12-07-2005, 12:28 AM
Thank-You all for the welcome.! I have thought about an R.O.. I definately need to do something. After all, noone ever wants to tap LESS trees :D It seems you hear as many horror stories about R.O.'s as you hear good stories. I do not take pride in cooking all of those hours, I am sure some of you understand that it just snakes up on you and then what?

Each year seems to bring something a little different though.

Now what about a steam-away? I have had people tell me that since I already have a preheater and forced air, that upgrading to a steam away would not be the best use of dollars per GPH increase. Any thoughts?

markcasper
12-07-2005, 12:41 AM
I know a guy 20 miles south of me that has a 6x20 King. I think it has a 6ft. syrup pan, an 8ft. flew pan with a steam-away on top, and another 6ft.flue pan behind that.

Were there ever many 6x20's made and sold? You never see one for sale and hardly ever do you see a 6x18 anymore.

I was impressed by this fellas rig as you could put your hand on the stack, even after boiling all day. Talk about using up all of the B.T.U'.s

My 4x12 on the other hand--I hate to think how much heat is going up that thing, yet alone thinking of a 2x6.

My observation is that it would be better to go longer first, rather than wider. Example: A 5x20 (don't know of one being made) would be much more efficient than a 6x16. Any thoughts?

mountainvan
12-07-2005, 06:48 AM
I think they'll make any configuration you want up to a god-awful huge thing like the 6x20. a friend has a 5x14 with a piggyback and it seems as big as my saphouse! in my experience wide and short boil [3x8] did the same as 2.5x10. 3.5x10 intensofire boiled fast, but sucked the wood. As for ros vs long boiling you can have both!! just add alot more taps. I have 2.5x10 dg airtight with preheater and have 2000+ taps, and always adding more. longest boil I had was 96, 3 days no sleep all collect and boil. lucky I did'nt hurt myself.

brookledge
12-07-2005, 08:09 PM
I know when I went from a 3X8 to a 3X12 I did not notice any increase in the amount of wood that I burn. But definately saw an increase in GPH, I used to average 17gal per cord and now get 25 gal per cord.
I definately agree that if you have a choice go longer before going wider.
Keith

mountainvan
12-08-2005, 05:57 AM
keith is your rig well insulated? I get 40 gallons/cord{that was before my ro}. not bragging just seeing if I can help you burn less wood.

markcasper
12-08-2005, 06:12 AM
I agree with Keith. When I had my 3x10, I was pushing the same amount of wood as I do now with my 4x12 and I am getting 2 1/2 times more capacity. Of course the forced air helps alot, which wasn't on the 3x10.

I have seen 5x12's advertised for sale. Whoever uses that is putting 1 more foot of wood in and would not be gaining that much. I would think it would be best to get a 5x16, over a 5x12 or 5x14. The extra 2-4 ft at the end is basically free, as far as fuel goes. Mark

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
12-08-2005, 06:46 AM
post edited