PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to the genius...

40to1
03-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks to the genius who suggested that at least two paper filters get inserted in the cloth cone filter. (Perhaps this was Haynes' idea?)....

Anyways, it works like a charm. Being able to pull out the clogged paper filters really kept the process moving along and spared me tons of aggravation.

Thank you!

3rdgen.maple
03-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Not sure who exacally told you but I start with 6 prefilters and work my way down to 1. Filter a batch pull a prefilter.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-04-2011, 05:18 AM
I mentioned this is some other thread but yea I start with at least 3 or 4 inside the cloth filter and one on outside to catch any stray fibers. I was taught this back in 95 when helping bro-inlaw. when top prefilter gets clogged pour remaining syrup into next and keep moving ahead. At the end of the night i use my hot condensate from PH to rinse all filters, first cloth then the rest. I use prefilters a couple times and then toss out.

Haynes Forest Products
03-04-2011, 07:42 AM
40-1 dint blame that idea on me:lol: I burned all my filters years ago:D I'm a filter press kind of guy and HATE any type of gravity filters. Maybe its the gunk I get but When I used to have a disposable pre filters in my draw off I made such a mess I was always pissed off:mad:mad:

I'm at peace with life after getting the press. But he I will take the moniker Genius any time its offerd.

BryanEx
03-04-2011, 05:34 PM
For those of you that "pull" cone pre-filters filled with scalding hot syrup... how do you do it without burns or making a huge mess?

sap retreiver
03-04-2011, 05:41 PM
VERY CAREFULLY!!! only burnt myself and dumped half a bag a couple times. My wife may or may not think I'm crazy. You want me to do WHAT???

BryanEx
03-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Pulling it out I am fine with... it's the darn "turn it over" to dump out the clogged filter that provokes so many bad words in the kitchen. :mad:

802maple
03-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Does the word insulated rubber gloves come to mind. LOL

I used them religously, even when I happen to drop something in the evaporator.

MASSEY JACK
03-04-2011, 07:02 PM
I use a flat type canner with a wire rack. I put the fiber filter in the bottom then maybe 8 to ten prefilter papers. I wet them before they go in.I keep the cover on between draws. Usually don't have any syrup left on top when getting ready for the next draw. If I do I can just carefully pull it out from under the syrup like a table cloth from under the dishes only slowly. I used a cone filter the first year and hated them. I draw directly onto the papers so I don't loose any heat transferring it from a bucket. I have had very good filtration since going to this. I only make a maximum of 2 gallons per hour so a filter press would be a pain to keep warm between draws.
Jack

Big_Eddy
03-04-2011, 07:16 PM
I use a silicone oven mit - darn things are useless for just about any normal cooking being thick and awkward, but they are perfect for reaching in and pulling out a prefilter and tipping the remaining syrup into the next one. Don't get soggy, protect the fingers and rinse clean.

KenWP
03-05-2011, 07:07 PM
They make us Townshippers tough I guess I use my bare fingers to take out the filter and tip it over. I rinse them all out in the same water for the season and then make one final batch of really dark syrup.

johnallin
03-05-2011, 07:52 PM
For those of you that "pull" cone pre-filters filled with scalding hot syrup... how do you do it without burns or making a huge mess?

Brian,
I tear a bit down on both seams on the sides of the paper filters before I put them into the wool filter. They are always deeper than my wool filter for some reason.

When it's time to change out; I finish tearing until the syrup can run out near the bottom. Works like a charm for me, then the dirty filter goes right into the firebox.

SeanD
03-06-2011, 08:49 AM
For tipping and dumping, I slowly pull it out by the top edge which is cool to the touch. Then with my other hand I grab part of the bottom seam. It's usually not too hot.

This is the hard part to describe, but easier to do. Slowly start turning the filter sideways over the filters below. Lift the bottom of the filter up so that it makes a switch-back or z-shaped fold against itself. Loose enough that the liquid still flows, but tight enough that every part of the now dripping filter is still above the opening of the filters below.

It also helps to wait long enough to reduce the amount of syrup left in the filter you are trying to dump. Actually, it's more of a pour than a dump so that solids stay behind and the syrup goes into the next filter.

Good luck.

Sean

40to1
03-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Tongs!
Use one to grab the top and the other to lift the bottom.

Grease05
03-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Im going to filter this way this year, just got the stainless filter holder made with a stand, holds three filter cones, i think the silicone gloves should work well, just have to make sure you dont dump all the sediment out when switching the prefilter, the way it looks to me. Is it better to add filtering additive before doing this filtering like you would with a filter press?:confused: