PDA

View Full Version : 2nd night of boiling.... quick question

SugarSquirrel
03-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Well in vermont, sap hasnt been running well, al though i must say it is early in the season. In the past day or 2 i have had 10 trees running, and have collected 10 gallons of sap. I have decided to start sweetening my pan before my sap goes sour! This is my first year of sugaring, and in my arch, with sap/syrup in it, there is a boil, I am trying to get my fire as hot as i possibly can make it. Myt neighbor who made 90 gallons last year has told me that their arch door gets cherry red. I am not looking for a boil that has bubbles here and there, i am looking for a really roaring, rolling over boil. I make my fire as hot as i can, but it is still not hot enough...:mad: Are there any good tips to making a ROARING fire? also, i am not using tree wood. I live on a farm, and have cut up pallets. I am told that pallets burn even hotter. This makes me wonder even more... Any ideas are greatly appriciated.
Thanks, Sugarsquirrel

weekendboiler
03-03-2011, 08:56 PM
whats your set up? natural air or forced air?

morningstarfarm
03-03-2011, 09:18 PM
are your pans flat or do you have a flu pan? do you have a blower installed? how deep are you running your pans? how big is your setup? need a bit more info to help you

Southtowns27
03-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Like these guys said, we need more info. Got any pics of your rig? How big/tall is your stack?

PerryW
03-06-2011, 08:49 AM
hard to get a good foaming boil unless you have a flue pan.