PDA

View Full Version : Quebec hydotherm

captnsteve
03-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Has any used the Quebec hydrotherm?if i read right does the red line just have to be in the middle

BryanEx
03-03-2011, 04:22 PM
I have one. The idea is to have it float at the same level as the top of red line but it's a bit slow. You have to let it sit long enough for the red to adjust to the temperature.

captnsteve
03-03-2011, 04:25 PM
just let it float in the middle of the red line ok thanks

BryanEx
03-03-2011, 04:34 PM
just let it float in the middle of the red line ok thanks

Hang on there captnsteve. The red line I'm thinking of is the thermometer portion of the hydrotherm which raises and lowers based on temperature. You want the top of the red to be level with the syrup it's floating in. Check out this info for a better explaination...

http://www.omaf.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/08-003.htm#hydrotherm

- Bryan

captnsteve
03-03-2011, 05:28 PM
the hydrometer i have is a quebec hydrotherm it doesnt have any numbers on it. the best i can understand is for the level of syrup floats halfway in the middle of the red line when it is finished i could just be reading it wrong

BryanEx
03-03-2011, 05:42 PM
the hydrometer i have is a quebec hydrotherm it doesnt have any numbers on it.
So far we are on the same page.

the best i can understand is for the level of syrup floats halfway in the middle of the red line when it is finished
Okay... the red line you are referring too... is is printed on the hydrotherm or is it the center core that adjusts up or down based on temperature? The red line I am thinking of is the same as the mercury in a thermometer only without any numbers listed and if you can float your hydrotherm in the mild of that red section, you just made candy.

captnsteve
03-03-2011, 06:10 PM
i see what you mean know the red line will be the same height of the syrup when the syrup is done .

BryanEx
03-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Exactly. If the syrup is really hot the red line will go higher, the hydrotherm will sink more, but you still line up the top of the red line with the level of syrup. That same syrup at a cooler temperature will make the hydrotherm float higher but the red line will be lower to compensate for the temperature difference.

captnsteve
03-03-2011, 06:42 PM
thanks cant wait to try it out. my new evaporator is coming tomorrow hopefully get everything going on sunday thanks again

BryanEx
03-03-2011, 06:48 PM
A couple of tips then... keep your hydrotherm at the ready in hot water if you are testing hot syrup so the red line is already near the top. That will shorten the time it takes to get the proper reading... and be patient. It is not an instant read instrument by any stretch. It's really handy because temperature does not matter but it takes a little while to adjust for each new reading.

captnsteve
03-03-2011, 06:50 PM
ok thanks again

Big_Eddy
03-04-2011, 08:11 PM
I've had a hydrotherm for a few years now, but never had any instructions as to how to read it and use it properly. Was in the local Co-op the other day, and there was an instruction sheet printed out that was published be Atkinson's Maple Syrup Supplies. There is no copyright notice on it, so I thought I would post the content here.

Description
The Hydrotherm is a combination of the hydrometer and the thermometer. It measures the density of maple syrup at any temperature between 35F and 210F.
The scale of the hydrotherm is graduated in 2/10 degrees brix and will indicate the density of the syrup 65.8 degrees brix and thicker.
The cup for this hydrotherm should be at least 10", preferably 12"

Measuring Method.
For quicker reading in hot syrup - keep the hydrotherm in hot water. Before use, dry well.
Fill the cup with syrup and lower the hydrotherm slowly into the cup. Avoid knocking the bottom and sides of the cup. Allow both the hydrometer and the thermometer column to stop moving before reading.
When the top of the red thermometer column is level with the surface of the syrup, the syrup density is 65.8 degrees brix.
To comply with Ontario and Canada regulations for minimum density maple syrup (66 degrees brix) the top of the red thermometer column should be 1 graduation above the surface of the syrup.
When the top of the red thermometer column is 3 1/2 or 4 graduations above the surface of the syrup, the syrup should be near the optimum density of 66.5 degrees brix.
If the top of the red thermometer is not visible at or above the surface of the syrup, the syrup is too thin.

Hope this helps others - it helped me a lot.