PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Cheese Tank

GeneralStark
03-03-2011, 12:17 PM
I have a 1500 Gallon Plywood/Fiberglass tank that was used for cheesemaking. It is a little rough, but it is still in good shape. I would like to refurbish it and am wondering of anyone else has used one of these types of tanks for sap storage.

It does have a few leaks, but they could easily be patched. I am thinking about using a food grade epoxy to reseal the whole thing after patching a couple small holes.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

GeneralStark
10-05-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm still working on this one and have been going back and forth with how to restore this tank. It turns out that much of the fiberglass has de-laminated from the plywood structure, especially around the drain, so I am contemplating ripping it out and re fiberglassing the bad areas and then food grade epoxy coating. Big job.

So I am also contemplating a liner for this season while I think this through a bit more.

Any thoughts?

GeneralStark
10-14-2011, 11:56 AM
It looks like I could have a potable water grade custom tank liner made for this tank to the tune of 850$. The tank was free to me, 1000 gallons +, and is unusable at the moment.

I'll have to think some more about this.

C.Wilcox
10-14-2011, 01:21 PM
I love a free find as much as the next guy, but in this case you're going to have to sink a bunch of money and time into this thing to get it to work. I think if you looked at what you could buy in good condition for $850 you'd probably change your mind about the tank you have. If you posted an ad here on the Trader looking for storage containers you might find yourself a good deal.

GeneralStark
10-14-2011, 01:25 PM
If only it were as simple as that. This tank is in the second story addition of our boiler/sap storage building and it isn't coming out. It needs to be used, so it needs to be restored in some way.

There really isn't much chance of replacing this thing at this point unfortunately. Not my first choice but sometimes things aren't ideal.

C.Wilcox
10-14-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm assuing from your response that you built the building around the tank? Having it on the second story brings up another question, how heavy and well supported is that floor? Not sure if you're planning on having it full at any given point in time, but if you did 1000 gallons of sap is about 8,000 pounds. That's a pretty big load above your head, about the equivalent of having a 3/4 ton truck in the rafters.

GeneralStark
10-15-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm assuing from your response that you built the building around the tank? Having it on the second story brings up another question, how heavy and well supported is that floor? Not sure if you're planning on having it full at any given point in time, but if you did 1000 gallons of sap is about 8,000 pounds. That's a pretty big load above your head, about the equivalent of having a 3/4 ton truck in the rafters.

I assure you the structure is substantial enough for several 3/4 ton trucks.