PDA

View Full Version : SNOW ANYONE?

Maple Flats
12-03-2005, 08:38 AM
We finally got a dumping of snow. We have about 14" so far, forcast calls for 12 more. It started out in the mid thirties and then went into the mid twenties, result= slush on bottom big time and then about 12" more light stuff on top. Real hard to clean up with the snow blower. Slush keeps sticking to the auger and then snow won't go into impeller. Must keep shutting off motor and scrap ice from auger, then only takes a couple of minutes and it is the same again, real pain, might be the worst I've ever had. Well, I'll get it cleaned up eventually and then the next time will be easy as usuall. After that I need to go to the sugarhouse and plow that out so I can get in to finish my work. I always keep it open year round for either sugarhouse work or to do some saw milling which is in the same yard.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Just a couple very small ones so far, but looks like we are in for a good one tommorrow night and first part of week! 8O

Father & Son
12-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Heavy snow with high winds all day yesterday. 8-10 inches with drifting. Lake effect snow, more in some places than others. Worked outside in it all day, wasn't too bad because it was right around 30 degrees.

Sugarmaker
12-03-2005, 07:28 PM
We spent a full day hunting the wily whitetail in NW PA today and were in a small town called Dicksonburg. This is Near (Father and Son). Snow was about knee deep and rough going. Moving further north a couple of mile the snow was about 18 inches deep and in the P.M. near Beaver Center the snow was a manageable 12 inches. Nic (grandson) and son Eric saw a nice buck, and I saw 8 doe all moving in the woods . No shooting but had a great day hunting in Penns Woods with family and friends. :D

Father & Son
12-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Chris,
You were 4 or 5 miles the way the crow flies. I had to work today, so Terri (who has never hunted) sat with Chase in the deer stand just so he could get some time in the woods. What a mom!

Jim

VA maple guy
12-05-2005, 09:39 PM
We are getting are first whopping inch or two down here in northern VA. We avrage only about 1.5 inches of snow in December. I'd like to see six or eight inches of the white stuff, it would shure help pay for the new Boss snow plow i bought and hardly used last year.
Gerry

markcasper
12-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Here in Western Wis., we barely have an inch. Its been VERY COLD for this early, its been -5 to -10 below zero the last two nights and will be going below again. We sure need some snow cover to prevent that deep deep frost in the woods which delays my trees from going in the spring.

Maple Flats
12-06-2005, 06:45 PM
From the 16" total we got 12/3 and an inch or 2 each day since then, I was in the woods doing some improvement cutting removing a beach tree, the snow has settled to about 8" in the woods as of today. I am cutting for 07 season firewood and will make a sawlog from anything good enough for my mill.

Sugarmaker
12-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Chris,
You were 4 or 5 miles the way the crow flies. I had to work today, so Terri (who has never hunted) sat with Chase in the deer stand just so he could get some time in the woods. What a mom!

Jim

Jim, Hunted most of the day, One of the crew got a nice 8 point, 15 inch spread 160 lb deer.

mountainvan
12-09-2005, 09:10 AM
one foot last night and still snowing hard. hopefully it does'nt pile up this year, I don't like tapping with snowshoes. On the mountain they become skis!!

mapleman3
12-09-2005, 12:54 PM
it just stopped snowing here, started around 4am -2pm got about 10+ of the fluffy white stuff
now it's sunny.. go figure

RUSTYBUCKET
12-10-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm a little south of Mountainvan and we took about 10". I had hoped it wouldn't come this soon as the ice was not thick enough on the ponds to venture out with the snowblower. Not sure what affect this will have on the ice skating this year. :(

Maple Flats
12-11-2005, 07:04 AM
That reminds me of the time when I was about 12-13 when my brother, cousin and myself had good ice before much snow fell. We skated the old Erie Canal for about 12 miles and then started back. The other 2 after returning about 2 miles sat down on the canal bank and said they were too tired and cold. I could not get them up even after a long rest. I then looked for a limb, as I recall it was about 7 or 8 ft long and about 2 1/2" diam at the big end. I talked them into holding onto it and I pulled them skating backwards the remaining ten miles. When we got back to our starting point they went home to get warm and I had a group of friends just getting a hockey game started and I played hockey for I certainly was not cold after the 10 mile pull, I just loved skating and hockey. The last time I was on skates now was about 15 years ago, can still skate but I sure was sore the next day as I remember.

Maple Flats
12-11-2005, 07:07 AM
And by the way, we have about a foot of snow in the woods, every day as it settles or evaporates a little we get a fresh shot. Sure looks pretty in the woods. I just love this time of year!, even with the snow plowing and vehicle jumping to start, it just rocks.
Maple Flats