PDA

View Full Version : sap sacks

Kev
03-03-2011, 07:45 AM
I would like to know how people like the sap sacks.
also have you used them in windy areas? many days i spend more time rehanging buckets due to wind, than checking how much sap is in the ones still on the trees.
Thanks

morningstarfarm
03-03-2011, 10:35 AM
I have around 75 of the pvc sak holders out right now...they work awesome and are cheep cheep cheep...secret I found is to put a 3" piece of scrap tubing on the spile and it will not blow off...nice to just drive by and see the level in the bag...

Kev
03-03-2011, 10:42 AM
ah yes good idea on the piece of tubing! in fact I think i will do that to the most exposed buckets i have,even though that means taking the lid off and pulling the hose every time i empty it. It will be less frustration than pulling up to a yard and have 6 buckets on the ground and 2 full ones on trees:emb:

wow I am all the way up to fire wood chopper.. I do not think its reall acurate though, I think my skill level is down around "half way competent filter washer"

adk1
03-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I was considering sap sacks, but going all tubing now, but I ahve the gravity to do it. WIll use sap sacks for my aournd hte house trees though and that is why I like them, cause you can see if there is anythign in them from a distance

morningstarfarm
03-03-2011, 12:00 PM
not sure if it makes a difference, but I use 2" pvc pipe that I drilled out to accept a health spile (plastic tubing tap)..the scrap tube holds everything in place..last night we had gusts to around 40mph and I had none down...

Brian Ledoux
03-03-2011, 12:21 PM
The home made PVC sap saks are quite a hassel in my opinion. If I could have afforded buckets I may have gone that route instead. I have a few blown off the tap every time I collect. If you pound the tap in just enough so it pinches the pvc against the tree that helps. But the biggest issue is ice. I work all day so at night when I collect, the bags are all frozen and I can't collect. Unless I totally unscrew the hose clamp empty the ice, then put the hose clamp back on. Way too much time to do that.

Other than that, the bags are cheap, hold a lot of sap, and are pretty strong.

Kev
03-03-2011, 02:48 PM
thanks for the input people!
looks like i will get some for next year

morningstarfarm
03-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Yup freezing is their big drawback...but they are pretty much waterproof in the rain....and mine with zip ties cost me less than a buck each with bag and tap...my cans cost me around 4.00 a set used...and I get to wash all of them at the end of the season...and my pails fill with rainwater no matter what I do....I guess it's a pick your poison thing.....