PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Central Michigan

Rick_Seebeck
03-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Live in Gladwin and tapped half of my sugarbush today and will finish the rest tomorrow. Some sap was running in the trees out in the open sun. Woods trees still frozen.

I think that I am right on time. Any thoughts????

Ausable
03-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Well Rick -- If You tapping got the sap flowing -- that would be a wonderful thing. Same thing here - getting a little sap out of the trees in the Sun -- nothing from those in the shade -- still a mite too cold here -- Mike

maplecrazy
03-02-2011, 08:53 PM
My thought is your not to early I"ve been in since 2/17 and a few days after seeing a little sap from small trees. But nothing from the big trees. I have some on fencerows,roadside and yard trees. Not sure if the roadside are still froze or the foot of snow in ditch hasn't let the ground thaw? I kinda thought that the few windy days we've had would have broke up the frost in the trees. so that the couple somewhat warms days we've had would at least let me have a look at sap. Having nightmares about last year. So I guess my thought would be you hav'nt missed anything yet. Starting the (SAP DANCE) tonight. Happy Tapping!!!!

whalems
03-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Maplecrazy where in Michigan are you?

michiganfarmer2
03-03-2011, 06:55 PM
I dont expect any runs till we get above 40, and there arent any temps forecast around here above 35 even for the next 10 days

fishman
03-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Not even close in da UP eh!

fishman
03-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Not even close in da UP eh!

maplecrazy
03-03-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm in lake aka lake station

whalems
03-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Maplecrazy, I have spent some time in your neck of the woods. My grandparents had a cottage on silver lake. Used swim and fish there alot as a kid. Good luck this year, Mike

whalems
03-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Tapped some trees today but I think it will be a bit yet:mad:

maplecrazy
03-03-2011, 09:47 PM
I't is a nice area not alot of people this time of year. makes collecting sap on roadside kinda nice. But also bad for syrup sales. One of those no win situations I guess. I sell wood to a guy over in gladwin. Thats a nice area also. Do you have any sap buyers over your way? Any word on what the price of sap will be this year? I may sell some this year if i can get a decent price. Little short on time this year. Well 42 degrees they say tommorow. We'll see!! sure would be nice to see a run. Any word on syrup prices retail and bulk ? Take care

Ed R
03-03-2011, 10:09 PM
I think you are just about perfect on timing. We tapped last weekend and you didn't miss much. If you have many taps at all you can't wait till the run is on to tap. Its a pain to have to gather/boil while getting the woods set up. Next week the fun will begin.