PDA

View Full Version : First boil

Tweegs
03-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Ran just under 200 gallons of sap through, averaged just over 30 GPH evap rate, and managed about 2.5 gallons of light amber. The pans are good-N-sweet, and if the weatherman is true to his word, we’ll likely boil again on Sunday.

Love that 2x6, beats the snot out of my 7~10 GPH block arch. Went from a 20 hour day down to under 6. :D

Ausable
03-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Dang Tweegs - You make me jealous -- If I put my four (4) gallons of frozen sap in with about 150 gallons of water - I too could have a boil - Just not sure what I'd call the result ---- Frustration Syrup I guess -- Keep up the good work -- Michigan is proud of You --- Mike

weekendboiler
03-02-2011, 09:17 PM
looks like u could have saved some wood and just put your pans over that big factory fire down your way.

Tweegs
03-03-2011, 10:03 AM
LOL
Thanks Mike, but I’m willing to pass the torch anytime.

As for that factory fire…
That place isn’t 4 miles from the house. A guy I work with lives out this way, big time ham radio geek. He does the sky warn thing and is involved in about anything he can be.

He saw the smoke and stopped, got involved, said every fire truck from Livingston county was there, helicopters, news crews…the usual bee hive of activity this sort of thing generates.

Now, I was shutting down the rig about the time this was going on. I heard nothing, saw nothing, we were totally oblivious to what was going on just down the road. We didn’t know anything about it until I was checking the news station this morning trying to get the weather.

I must be getting old. :lol:

xyz5150
03-03-2011, 10:25 AM
We could see the smoke from my house in Durand it must be 30 miles or so to Howell. Now that i know were you are on the horizon i will look for the steam from that 2x6 tweegs.:lol:

Ausable
03-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Hmmmmmmmm! That was a bad thing that happened over your way. BUT - I'll tell Ya something even Badder. I live near Glennie - a little - Northern Michigan Burg in the middle of the Huron National Forest and Yesterday -- Our One and Only Party Store Burned to the ground -- all that good booze just Burned and Burned and the next nearest store that sells liquor is 25 miles away -- Now that there is serious---- good thing I stopped drinking when I did ---- and started making maple syrup ---- Mike

Tweegs
03-03-2011, 03:00 PM
I’m familiar with Glennie, my folks have a place near there on Jose lake.
Been tubing (fly fishing) from the dam down to Rollways hundreds of times.
Was it that little corner place near the dam?

Ausable
03-03-2011, 06:00 PM
I’m familiar with Glennie, my folks have a place near there on Jose lake.
Been tubing (fly fishing) from the dam down to Rollways hundreds of times.
Was it that little corner place near the dam?

If You mean the Alcona Dam -- No - that is in Curtisville (The Curtisville Market). The store that burned is about 8 miles North-East of there in Glennie. Yep - Jose Lake - when I first moved into the area I was corrected quick - I pronounced it "Ho say" and I was told that A'in't the name - it is "Joe See" Lake -- so Yes Sir That there Lake is "Joe See" Lake. We have Lots of Lakes in the area --- Mike