PDA

View Full Version : Tap trees that have absorbed steel fence?

rasento
03-02-2011, 06:42 AM
I've got some decent size trees that have grown over steel mesh fence. Do folks tap a tree like this? Might the steel taint the sap?

Ausable
03-02-2011, 06:53 AM
I've got some decent size trees that have grown over steel mesh fence. Do folks tap a tree like this? Might the steel taint the sap?

Trees have a way of adapting to conditions. My own opinion is that it should not be a problem. I would tap on the side away from the imbedded steel fencing. What the heck - so You get a little iron in your system - just kidding. I would tap them. --- Mike

Haynes Forest Products
03-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Trees Compartmentalize the wound......YEA they block aff the area from the rest of the tree by walling it off. Plus rusty metal also build up a coating of rust that makes it neutral. Tap away any place you want.

Dill
03-02-2011, 08:05 AM
I would be hard pressed to tap roadside or fence line trees around here that haven't got some bit of metal in them. Fence, gate hinges, nails,and bullets. I used to work at sawmill in high school and you wouldn't believe the amount of bullets some trees absorb.

Thompson's Tree Farm
03-02-2011, 05:38 PM
If the steel from an ingrown fence wire will taint the syrup, I've been making tainted syrup all my life. Be careful where you drill the trees though. We have been known to really dull a tapping bit in a hurry on such trees:(