PDA

View Full Version : Home built sap storage tank

3fires
03-01-2011, 08:57 PM
I made these up today, they seem to work good and didn't require any heavy mods, just screw it all together using plumbing supplies from the hardware. Cost about 45 bucks for the pair, parts included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ7Xv41zfv4

One is for the car and the other sits beside the evap. the long funnel comes right off and the bung can be replaced for transport or swapping between tanks to fill.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/shroomer69/Wild%20edible%20plants/Maple%20Syrup/100_3934.jpg

I'll probably rig a hose up to these shutoffs so I can feed directly into the preheater.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/shroomer69/Wild%20edible%20plants/Maple%20Syrup/100_3936.jpg

Bucket Head
03-01-2011, 09:57 PM
What is the weight rating for that picnic table? Lol!

Those should work well. The only problem with barrels is you can't get all the sap out. The drain does not allow it all to come out. Just make sure you rinse them out well, repeatedly, after emptying them. Thorough multiple rinsings will help keep them clean since you can't get in them to scrub them.

Steve

3fires
03-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the tip Buckethead.

I built that table, it'll hold. Heck, if it can hold me...

I can get all but just under 2 gallons out as they sit. I was wondering if that would be an issue during the season. My thinking was it shouldn't be a problem as I'll be adding fresh sap every other day and cycling it through.

Bucket Head
03-02-2011, 02:06 PM
You really should rinse them out after each use. I rinse out my gathering tank after each use. The trouble with every other day, and even daily use, is that the barrels with a little sap left in them sit in the sun and that sap gets nasty. The dark blue color will absorb the sunlight and heat up, even on a cool day. I know daily rinsing will be a little more work- work you were not planning for, but it will be worth the effort. Like I said before you can't get in them to clean them, so you have to put a little more effort into keeping them looking like they do now on the inside.

A recent poster on here has his barrels on their side on a trailer with a "manhole" cut into the top. Maybe you could do that? That way you could store sap and be able to get in and clean them out. I mean be able to reach in with your arm and sponge/brush and be able to reach both ends of the barrel. Just some food for thought. Good luck this season!

Steve

3fires
03-02-2011, 04:18 PM
It's half buried in snow now. I don't have the ability to rinse them out that often, it would cost a fortune in water, we pay for our water here. Besides, the spicket is turned off for the winter due to the fact that it will freeze.

I'm surprised folks rinse these big tanks daily, that seems hard to believe. If that's the case then you'd need to rinse your sap buckets daily too, and any storage tanks. Wouldn't you?

I saw WoodButchers post on the sideways tank with the lid, nice setup.

BobU
03-02-2011, 05:24 PM
You mentioned that one barrel is for the car, Do you put it in the back seat maybe with a seatbelt around it? Just trying to get this picture in my head. With the long funnel sticking out the window? Should work well!

3fires
03-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Yes, and a rope tying it down securely. The funnel can stick out the window, but will be removed during transport.

I got it all installed today and ran a hose from the shutoffs using a barbed fitting. This way I can feed the pans directly from the tank and fill buckets from the car. If I could park the car up on a big hill I could feed directly into the tank on the picnic table as well, but the tank in the car sits lower than the picnic table.

I have a re-usable coffee filter that will go in the funnel to filter out debris and lessen any splashback that might occur if I get carried away emptying buckets.

The only downfalls I can see are it not being easy to clean, especially without a garden hose and the possiblilty of the shutoff area freezing. Other than that it should work great. Knock on wood!

You could even hook a copper coil around the stack to the feed line and have a constant drip out of the tank to the evap of preheated sap. But, I'm not going there... yet.

3rdgen.maple
03-03-2011, 12:43 AM
I think what bucket head is saying is that since there is no direct access to the inside of barrels a daily rinse will help keep the free from the slime that would build up in them and would be next to imposible to clean at that point. I clean all my tanks once a week. Smallest one is 250 gallons and removable covers.

3fires
03-03-2011, 09:09 AM
I see, I was under the impression the storage tanks were only cleaned end of season.

I meant to thank BucketHead too, but missed it in my post. Thanks to both of you!

This presents a big ? in my head. :emb: They are quite difficult to rinse without a pressure washer or garden hose.

What if I took them to the car wash weekly and sprayed good, maybe a bit of bleach as well and a good rinse?

morningstarfarm
03-03-2011, 11:43 AM
what was the fitting you used on your fill tube..where it goes into the bung? I havent been able to find anything that matches the barrel threads...thx:confused:

Brian Ledoux
03-03-2011, 12:15 PM
3fires, I am in the exact same boat as you with not having water at my boiling location. I have the exact same barrell and pretty much identical plumbing through the bung. My uncle in Canada who has been making syrup for years insisted that I would not need to worry about the sap that doesn't fully drain out... I am not so sure about that though. A clean/rinse once a week is my plan. I too thought of going to a car wash and using their pressure washer but even the fresh water rinse at the car washes have additives and/or a rinse agent so you would need to rinse it after you brought it to the car wash too! Can't win some times. Just a 5 gallon bucket of waster (maybe some bleach) to swish it around will have to do.

3fires
03-03-2011, 07:36 PM
It's just a standard 2" fitting, threaded on one end. It fits the fine threaded bunghole. The other hole is coarse threaded.

3fires
03-03-2011, 07:54 PM
That sounds like a good idea Brian. I was considering a 5 gallon bucket with a bit o' bleach and roll the tank in place on the table, drain and repeat two more times with fresh water to rinse. There's only so much time in the day and this isn't my full time job, just a hobby at this point. But, I would like to do it right enough to get some good syrup.

The barrels are only 8 bucks a piece, so if it lasts the season and then gets funked up I can always buy more and just reuse my fittings.

Considering the cost of gas and car wash coin, i'd probably spend more than that in wash fees. I can't afford to invest a large amount of cash in keeping them clean. I didn't notice the slime on my collection buckets last year, so I'll just have to play this season out and learn as I go.

Unless some folks here are BS'ing, some don't even clean their tubing systems. I'd have to think that's much worse than what could grow or stick to a barrel that is at least rinsed out yearly???