PDA

View Full Version : tank sizing- gravity

len
03-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Trying to get a feel for an approximate tank sizing scheme where approx 30- 40 trees 5/16" tubing, gravity where 2- 3+ days is anticipated between collection. I'm thinking that a good run would need to be anticipated in the sizing scheme. Any help is appreciated!

collinsmapleman2012
03-01-2011, 07:34 PM
might work out best to just get a cage tank that way storage is adequate and no worries

Mountain Winds Farm
03-01-2011, 07:37 PM
I believe the books say to figure 3 gallons per tap for each good days run for storage needs

adk1
03-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Trying to get a feel for an approximate tank sizing scheme where approx 30- 40 trees 5/16" tubing, gravity where 2- 3+ days is anticipated between collection. I'm thinking that a good run would need to be anticipated in the sizing scheme. Any help is appreciated!

2-3+ days might be alittle long, even for 30 taps to have fresh sap. I guess it also all depends on the size of evap you have.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I was told 2x the taps. If you have 30 taps you need a 60 gal tank, and thats gathering every time there is a run

len
03-01-2011, 08:10 PM
I believe the books say to figure 3 gallons per tap for each good days run for storage needs

I kind of had a 3 gal/ day figure in my mind. What is an average duration for a good run?

I would expect some micro climate variables, such as terraine, sun exposure/ shading, crown size, water availability, snow cover etc... to factor into it as well.

len
03-01-2011, 08:19 PM
I was told 2x the taps. If you have 30 taps you need a 60 gal tank, and thats gathering every time there is a run

Gather every time there is a run, is like in the Am, boiling all day, collecting in the PM, and boiling into the night, then repeat? Is that 2x figure to cover daily collection?

len
03-01-2011, 08:56 PM
2-3+ days might be alittle long, even for 30 taps to have fresh sap. I guess it also all depends on the size of evap you have.

Homemade arch, and flat pan ss 2x4. I have the experience using it for tapping 20+/- trees with 7/16" taps/ tubing/ buckets. I believe I had experienced a good run 40's during the day, freezing at night, and went for a couple of days. Collected in the AM, boiled all day, collected in the PM, pails were amazingly full, and boiled into the night. Boiling at night, full moon, wishing it would boil faster (bark at the moon- are there werewolves:o) Get it reduced down, finish, filter, and get to bed. Then wake up, and repeat- That was a major work out. That rig needs an upgrade as it is. Add 30- 40 trees to that....

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-02-2011, 04:51 AM
Gather every time there is a run, is like in the Am, boiling all day, collecting in the PM, and boiling into the night, then repeat? Is that 2x figure to cover daily collection?

just gather once a day, unless your a lucky guy and the run over fills your tank