PDA

View Full Version : Coffe machine for bottling?

70 Buick
03-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Not sure if I read this suggestion here or elsewhere
but one of my customers was throwing out some stuff today
& here is an old 60 cup coffee machine
I was looking at it & thinking it would be perfect for me to bottle my syrup with it, especially since it was headed for the trash
brought it home & it works greaT, ( with water anyways LOL )

I checked it fr a temperature and it keeps the water at 183 degrees, is that hot enough for bottling?
Do you guys think that syrup will run through it?

any problems you see?

Thanks

adk1
03-01-2011, 01:38 PM
there was a thread on this awhile back, it gave me the same idea, and I thought it was the cats a**. I still think it is. If you get 183 degrees that is fine, I think you just need to got to 180. I plan on using one as well, I will get a cone filter to put in it to filter too

70 Buick
03-01-2011, 01:42 PM
This one is pretty big & it takes the basket filters
I think it gets over 183 when it boils the water but keeps it at 183
I found that thread after I posted mine, but that machine is way over my head , I made 3 gallons this year , I am hoping for 7 or 8 this year with my new setup

it should be fine for my needs, & the price ,FREE, is even better LOL

Turtlecreek
03-01-2011, 02:44 PM
They work fine got mine for 5 bucks at a yard sale!

steve J
03-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Only thing to be aware of is if it has been used a lot you might not get the coffee aroma out of it. I use one to bottle with but I bought it new and it has never done anything but bottle syrup.

70 Buick
03-01-2011, 02:58 PM
They work fine got mine for 5 bucks at a yard sale!

do you put a filter in the top for some extra filtering when you turn it on and it goes through the "coffee" making steps?

Tweegs
03-01-2011, 03:18 PM
We use one for bottling, too.

Usually, we heat in a pan on the stove to 185~190, dump it in the urn and bottle away.

We found that trying to use the urn to heat the syrup, that on ours anyway, the heating element got the syrup too hot near the bottom. When we were near empty, that element also had a tendency to burn the last little bit.

Haynes Forest Products
03-01-2011, 09:04 PM
70Buick Dont try and heat up the syrup with it because it will Micro boil near the element and will cause niter to build up. Fill with hot syrup. The typical no drip spouts are nice to.

70 Buick
03-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks to all who have replied
It is much appreciated

Turtlecreek
03-03-2011, 02:46 PM
I run my syrup through a prefilter when I draw it off. Then I take it into the house at the end of the boil and heat it up on the stove to 212 and check it with the hydrometer then finish it. I then pour it into the coffe maker to bottle. I don't plug in the maker until I have the syrup in it and it gets to 185 with no noticible micro boiling.

I have taken all of the guts (basket tube etc out of the coffee maker) and I attatch a orlin cone filter with 2 prefilters in it to the side of the maker with one of those black sping clips for paper.

Hope that makes sense.