PDA

View Full Version : Forced air with blowers

MAPLE247
03-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know anything about using the blowers for forced air. Does it change the maple syrup flavor intensity? Any major wood use changes?

adk1
03-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Does anyone know anything about using the blowers for forced air. Does it change the maple syrup flavor intensity? Any major wood use changes?

I cant say for sure, but you are supposed to get a more intense boil on the same amount of wood and therefore be able to evap more for the same amount of fuel. And basically the quicker you can boil off the better quality syrup you will get

mapleack
03-01-2011, 12:51 PM
No, it won't change the flavor. Depending on the set up you may use more wood, but you'll boil harder. If done correctly you can use less wood and boil harder. Check out the following thread "air over fire" http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=9364
Search or browse the evaporator section there is alot of good info on this topic on mapletrader. Good luck.

swierczt
03-01-2011, 12:53 PM
I have a barrel evaporator that I put forced air over the fire and under the fire. Much more intense boil, gets to boiling faster and uses less wood. No smoke coming out of the stack either, it burns all the gasses before they get out of the arch... Have a small blower motor for underneith and a leaf blower for over the fire....gotta have an airtight arch otherwise it will not work. It's noisy, but it works for me.

MAPLE247
03-01-2011, 02:59 PM
What do you mean by over the fire?
We're gonna be putting a furnace blower under the fire but could you explain?
We have a drop flue pan.

markct
03-01-2011, 03:22 PM
i have a airtight homemade arch with air under and over fire, it burns very well and seems to be relatively efficient compared to others i know with just traditional arches. you do use more wood, but boil alot harder so i think it comes out much ahead, i get 55 gal per hour or even a bit more at times with a 2x8 evap, that seems to be more than a few others i know with traditional arches on simular evaps. if you want to come see my setup just pm me we will setup a time, heading out to boil in just a few minutes!

mapleack
03-01-2011, 03:24 PM
What do you mean by over the fire?
We're gonna be putting a furnace blower under the fire but could you explain?
We have a drop flue pan.

Read the above referenced air over fire thread. Click on all the picture links of members evaporators, the pics help explain alot. The long and short is that by having 20% of the forced draft blow under and 80% blow in above, you get both a hotter fire and a more efficient burn.

collinsmapleman2012
03-01-2011, 08:13 PM
im looking into maybe a squirrel cage to use. my buddy used a box fan, and didnt notice til late that he melted it.