PDA

View Full Version : sap color question maybe a Dr. ,Perkins?

Turtlecreek
02-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Ok so tonight I was out collecting my buckes and all of the sap was nice and clear, maybe a tinge on the blue side, but all and all good stuff. Then i come accross 2 of my medium produceing trees, both sugars, and one of them gives me nice clear sap like all of the others and the other one 3 feet away give me a tea colored sap.

Why does this happen? It looked fine except for the color so I just dumped it in with the rest, maybe I should have checked the sugar content but I don't carry a sap hydromter with me in the woods.

Maybe this is a Dr. Perkins question I don't know.

stoweski
02-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Same situation here but mainly on the reds. Funny part is I have a large red with two taps, one on each side. One side was clear and the other had a yellow tinge to it.

adk1
02-28-2011, 08:18 PM
that is interesting. How long have they been tapped? Maybe it was in some off colored wood/older tap hole? Beats me!

Make me wonder what everyone does on tubing and what I will do on tubing cause you would never know if a couple of trees were producing that

Turtlecreek
02-28-2011, 08:25 PM
They were both tapped at the same time Feb. 11th or there about. I forgot to add the buckes were emptied last night, and they are both the same style bucket.

wnybassman
02-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Rain water?

BryanEx
02-28-2011, 08:51 PM
I will get this as well and usually on my older trees. It always seems to be a temporary situation and I believe it coincides with large temperature changes but I haven't actually documented that. Whether it's bad or not... couldn't tell ya. I don't care for how it looks so just turn it out when it happens.

- Bryan

The Birdman
02-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Rain water?

I second that

Kev
02-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Here in central Il. I have seen it, usually in buckets in that get too warm in direct sun on a warm day, at the end of a run . I just allways assume it is bacteria and toss the sap, rebleach the buckets that get it. Then I hope for a good freeze that night.
But then since i tap around town I have to admit I have considered other sources for yellow snow- I mean yellow sap- hence another potential reason for rebleaching and rinsing of said buckets :) or really :(

Turtlecreek
02-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Can't be rain. I use sealed square food grade buckets with a hole in the side for the spile, then the original lid gets sealed on top.

wnybassman
03-01-2011, 05:41 AM
Can't be rain. I use sealed square food grade buckets with a hole in the side for the spile, then the original lid gets sealed on top.

I had a couple buckets yesterday I was watching the rain pour down the side of the tree, and right down the tap and into the bucket. I think the angle of the spile and bark conditions have to be just right, but I usually have a couple every year that do this.

raymond
03-01-2011, 11:46 AM
well from what my uncle says who did this for many moons it is caused by crack up towrds a branch that the rain runs in and down the spout so you get the funny color get rid of it move youre tap should go away