PDA

View Full Version : Is it stainless steel?

jmayerl
02-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Heres my situation, I bought 4 SS valves off of ebay. They were brand new and advertised as stainless steel. I only needed 2 of them so I resold the other 2 on ebay. The purchaser just sent me an email saying they are not SS. how can I tell?

red maples
02-28-2011, 06:41 PM
all the stainless ball valves I have are either stamped or right in the casting 304 or 316 some followed by SS both of those types of SS are used in food safety SS 316 is more commonly used in high pressure situations if I remember right.

Its very possible the valve may be Chrome plated.

Stainless is quite expensive more so than chrome. although I haven't checked the prices in some time.

seclark
02-28-2011, 06:49 PM
if its stainless steel a magnet will not hold to it.If its a poor grade of stainless it may hold but not sure.All the stainless I have worked with will not hold a magnet.Hope this helps.

KenWP
02-28-2011, 06:53 PM
I make my living with SS tools and fittings and parts and all the tools attract a magnet but some fittings do and some don't. The really good fittings I use say 304 on them except for the 10,000 pound pressure fittings. What color of handles do the valves have that is your first clue as to what kind of metal they are.

RileySugarbush
02-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Chrome or nickel plated brass won't attract a magnet either

Haynes Forest Products
02-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Sand a small area and put some salt paste on it and see what it does Non SS will rust up.

Jim Schumacher
02-28-2011, 10:13 PM
A 400 series stainless will be slightly magnetic but shouldn't be considered to be low grade, just "different". 400 series have their purpose. 440 stainless is hardenable and is common in stainless steel tools.

I would have to guess that your valves are chrome plated brass and perhaps the guy that sold them to you didn't knowingly list them wrong on ebay. Post a picture Jeff.

Shoulda' bought some from me while you were at my shop...:lol:

Jim

len
02-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Use a file to see how the metal looks below the surface. If brass, it will be yellow to a redish yellow.

len
03-01-2011, 07:38 AM
An alternate might be dissassembly to see if machined areas show brass coloration internally.

jmayerl
03-01-2011, 08:40 AM
A 400 series stainless will be slightly magnetic but shouldn't be considered to be low grade, just "different". 400 series have their purpose. 440 stainless is hardenable and is common in stainless steel tools.

I would have to guess that your valves are chrome plated brass and perhaps the guy that sold them to you didn't knowingly list them wrong on ebay. Post a picture Jeff.

Shoulda' bought some from me while you were at my shop...:lol:

Jim

Thanks Jim for kickin a guy while he's down, thats what friends are for;) But I put a magnet on it and it didn't stick so I guess it will work for this year and we will upgrade this summer rather than last minute, God knows I wasted enough money on this"hobby" already!