PDA

View Full Version : Syrup pan burning what too do

sawyer40
02-28-2011, 06:50 AM
I have a 3x 10 oil fired leader evaporator. The flu pan leaked so I just had it repaired. When we put the flu pan and syrup pans back on the arch we failed to slide the two pans tightly togeather. Theres a 1/2 " gap between the 2 pans and this is where my problem begins. The heat must be comming up between the pans because in the syrup pan the syrup has started to burn and buildup at the liquid level and the solder started melting at the top edge of the pan. So I guess the first thing to do is slide the pans togeather after I drain the syrup pan. Since I have the pan drained how and what can I do to get the burnt syrup off the end of the pan? Would vinegar do it? Or can I leave it alone? My syrup pan has 4 channels that the syrup flows up and down. The channel where I draw it off has burnt syrup in a space about the size of a baseball no buildup just a spot. the second channel in tho has a half inch of burnt syrup at liquid leval. Will that flavor the syrup? I would be thankful for any suggestions about what to do.

northwoods_forestry
02-28-2011, 07:02 AM
Not sure how best to clean your burnt pans, hopefully others will have suggestions.

Do be sure to put some insulating material between your pans when you put them back on the arch. I use an insulating blanket material and make sure it covers the entire back of the syrup pan.

Good luck!

briansickler
02-28-2011, 07:38 AM
You can buy pan gasket precut to the width of your pans 24", 30", 36" etc.. It's just 1" ceramic blanket about 6 inches tall. It doesn't really have to go all the way to the top of your syrup pan. Just needs to block the heat from getting up in between the pans. You just sandwich it between the two. You should use rail gasket under the pans as well to make a good seal all the way around the bottom of the pans.

As far as getting the burnt syrup off. Maybe try boiling some water in the pan and scrub scrub scrub. Be careful not to get scalded though.

Brian

Haynes Forest Products
02-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Try some E Z Off oven cleaner of fire place glass cleaner. Dont use heat on it just spray it on heavy and let sit for about an hour.

michiganfarmer2
02-28-2011, 08:08 AM
maybe im just a half *** operator, but Id scrape the worst off with a spatula or something, scrub it with a stiff brush and clean water, then go back to boiling.

Haynes Forest Products
02-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Michigan Is that Half Fast operator? I assume that he has nice SS pans and doesnt want to scrape them all to heck.

nymapleguy607
02-28-2011, 10:51 AM
What works good is to clean burnt on syrup is to fill the pan with about 2" of water and get some pan cleaning acid, mix in the correct amount and then cover the pan with something to seal it. Put the pan on a couple of blocks and then heat the pans up so the water steams. The longer you can let it steam the easier it should come off. I had good luck when I burnt my old syrup pan.

michiganfarmer2
02-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Michigan Is that Half Fast operator? I assume that he has nice SS pans and doesnt want to scrape them all to heck.

yeah thats it,lol

sawyer40
02-28-2011, 12:06 PM
My pans are old but still shine. The sap is really running and I can't or don't want to take the hood off and steam pipe down. It's a real pain to reassemble it. I'm going to try to clean with some scruff pads. I flooded the pan last night to cool things off when I quit. So I'll plug the flu pan and drain the syrup pan. It would take a couple days to get the gasket material and the cleaner someone suggested so for right now I'll slide the pans togeather like they have been for the last few years. There not burnt really bad but do you think the half boiled syrup is Ok to put back in after and complete or could it pick up a burnt taste? The syrup pan kept foamming up and I couldn't knock the foam down and with this rainy weather comming in it wouldn't go to 219 degrees. so out of 450 gal of sap I got about 3 gal syrup the rest is in the syrup pan and hasn't come out yet I hate to dump it. What would you guys do?

Maple Ridge
02-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Try to stay away from scoff pads. You really don't want to scratch your pans. The past 4 years I have used vinegar to clean my finishing pans. I just let it set a couple days and it peals off. The acid cleaned for S/S pans will work fast. But it is not available for you. What ever you chose, rinse good. As for the partially boiled sap. Taste it to see if you can taste burnt flavor. If so, chuck it. Not worth wasting sap just to chuck it later when it is syrup.

james ferguson
02-28-2011, 02:59 PM
the best thing to use on stainless steel pans is a bulk tank cleaning soap you can pick it up at any farm supply store all you would need is a 5lb container powder just add 1oz per 5gallons hot water let set for about 1hr brush lightly will make pan look like new might still see discolorloration in steel where burnt the longer it sits the better it works good luck

BradWilson
02-28-2011, 06:22 PM
We had a similar problem last year. The syrup and flue pans don't push tight together. We were still in the previous owners sugarhouse (ours wasn't finished yet) and it was his set up. We didn't lose any solder joints and we just scraped it off each night until we figured it out. We found out that there wasn't enough gasket/insulation between the pans and it wasn't in quite right. At the end of the year we just used Leader's pan cleaner and scotch pads and LOTS AND LOTS of water. It's clean as new and this year it'll be well insulated. No warpage, no melting, just lucky. Good luck and insulate well.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/BradWilson101/Sugarin/th_ScorchMark.jpg (http://s915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/BradWilson101/Sugarin/?action=view&current=ScorchMark.jpg)

Mapleridge
03-01-2011, 05:58 AM
Put water in your pan and heat, till steamy, and add "real lemon" lemon juice( you can get it at any market). Boil solution for a few minutes. The acid in the lemon juice should naturally dissolve the burnt syrup, if not let it sit for a little while, use a non metal spatula and scrape the burnt off. We use lemon juice for our final cleaning every year and it does a great job getting the stainless pan real clean. Never use harsh cleaners in your pan. If you have a spot to clean. Try OOO steal wool, the finest. It scours by polishing the surface, no scratches. Rinse the pan well. Good luck.

Haynes Forest Products
03-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Looks as though that pan has had some scrbbing before so get the steel wool out and get it off. Stay away from the solder. I dont know alot of solvents for 100% carbon:mad:

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Put water in your pan and heat, till steamy, and add "real lemon" lemon juice( you can get it at any market). Boil solution for a few minutes. The acid in the lemon juice should naturally dissolve the burnt syrup, if not let it sit for a little while, use a non metal spatula and scrape the burnt off. We use lemon juice for our final cleaning every year and it does a great job getting the stainless pan real clean. Never use harsh cleaners in your pan. If you have a spot to clean. Try OOO steal wool, the finest. It scours by polishing the surface, no scratches. Rinse the pan well. Good luck.

How much lemon juice do you use per 5 gallon of water in the evaporator??