PDA

View Full Version : Propane Tanks in Sugarhouse?

ascutneymaple
02-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Since many people bottle their syrup right in the sugarhouse and many use propane burners, just thinking about the safety of having a propane tank in the sugarhouse, especially when boiling...propane tanks are never stored indoors anywhere else so just wondering what people think since this seems to be a common practice among sugarmakers...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-27-2011, 09:18 PM
I understand what you are saying as I lost a good friend in the explosion a few miles from my house about 4 years ago that was all over the national news. I have 2 twenty gallon tanks in my sugarhouse and I keep the valve shut off tight on then except when I am using them. Not a lot of propane in small tanks and main thing is to make sure tanks are newer and not old junkie tanks and the valves stay shutoff.

Most house in the is area have natural gas run all thru them to the heating system, water heat, stove, etc. So I am not too worried about 2 small tanks of propane.

Haynes Forest Products
02-27-2011, 09:26 PM
New tanks have a over fill valve in them. When you went to get the old ones filled they would bleed the tank as they fiiled them:mad: When they were filled outside in the cold in a cold tank it wasnt a problem. But bring that tank inside and all hell can break loose. New tanks cant be over filled because they leave a air space for exspansion.

markct
02-28-2011, 03:52 PM
i put mine outside and ran 1/2 inch pipe in to the sugarhouse with one conection for the finishing pan and then a quick coupler and hose from the gas grill section at lowes for the bottler so i can move it around or unplug it and put it in the corner

michiganfarmer2
02-28-2011, 03:57 PM
I have a 100 lb tank in the sap house. I just out it there at the end of last season. I keep it agianst the wall about 10 feet from the evaporator while the evpaorator is fired