PDA

View Full Version : Sugar on snow question

steve J
02-27-2011, 06:55 PM
I would like to do sugar on snow / ice cream for my grand kids. What emp should i bring the syrup up to for this great maple treat?

sapsick
02-27-2011, 07:03 PM
made some today as a matter of fact from last years syrup and went to 235F.
sure was good.. my boys are wound for sound now

Sugarmaker
02-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Yes I would have said 232 F. 235 F will work just as good. Sugar on snow is sooooo good!
Enjoy,
Chris

Ausable
03-09-2014, 07:46 PM
This is the year - I have been making maple syrup for many years and have wanted to do the Maple Sugar - Taffy on Snow thing. This year I have lots and lots of cold - deep - white snow. Sure - It would be nice to use fresh Maple Syrup - But last years maple syrup will have to do as my first boil of the year is still in the future. But - I do have the snow. Strike while the snow is clean - white - deep and cold. ----Mike----

antelope76
03-10-2014, 08:48 AM
My grandparents used to do that when we were kids. They used to call it Jack Wax I think.

sjdoyon
03-10-2014, 07:20 PM
All the temps are described in enclosed article:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20140307/LIVING06/303070006/Finding-maple-s-sweet-spot-how-syrup-transformed-into-much-more

Amber Gold
02-23-2015, 08:23 AM
I want to make sugar on snow for maple weekend this year. I've read different ways to make it. One says to heat to 224, cool it, and pour on packed snow. It says if poured hot, it melts the snow and flows right through. The article above says 235 and pour it on the snow hot. I've made taffy before and would've thought 235 would be the right temp. Doing it this way, I was thinking of having a pot of syrup boiled to the right density, sitting on a hot plate to keep it warm and ready to go as people order it. What's the consensus on how to make sugar on snow?

What you charge for a taffy pull?

Thanks

TheMapleMoose
02-23-2015, 10:59 AM
We take it to 234 and pour it on hot, it will lay on the snow just fine. We actually premake it, freeze it, and then microwave it warm and spoon it on the snow. Keeps it from sitting on a pot and getting sugary.

backyard sugaring
02-23-2015, 07:50 PM
We heat ours to 234, and pour it slowly over the snow. Trying to make it even on the snow. This is a favorite the kids look forward to every year. Good Luck. Lee

antelope76
02-25-2015, 02:28 PM
My grandparents used to do this when we were kids. They called it jack wax back then.

TerryEspo
02-25-2015, 03:31 PM
I thought a person had to pat down the snow a bit before pouring ? Gently pat around to make a working surface, then pour into that area.

I did read that somewhere, never done it though.

Terry

Russell Lampron
02-25-2015, 05:31 PM
The temp isn't as critical as it is for making maple cream but 235 is the target temp. My parents and grandparents used to make it when I was a kid and we used to call it leather aprons. When we were done with the leather aprons they used to give us a dish of the left over syrup and we would stir it down to maple cream. Talk about a sugar high!

BAP
02-25-2015, 05:42 PM
I want to make sugar on snow for maple weekend this year. I've read different ways to make it. One says to heat to 224, cool it, and pour on packed snow. It says if poured hot, it melts the snow and flows right through. The article above says 235 and pour it on the snow hot. I've made taffy before and would've thought 235 would be the right temp. Doing it this way, I was thinking of having a pot of syrup boiled to the right density, sitting on a hot plate to keep it warm and ready to go as people order it. What's the consensus on how to make sugar on snow?

What you charge for a taffy pull?

Thanks
If you are going to hold the sugar on snow syrup, put your pan of syrup in a water bath. That way you can maintain the temperature without cooking it more.