PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt

They Call Me Pete
02-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Thinking I did something wrong. Boiled 4-5 gallons for about 3 hrs. over a ripping fire and it boiled down just a few inches and was more of a thicker boil so I figured I was close to being done so brought it in the house to finish it off on the stove. I could only get it up to 220 maybe 222 and pulled the plug on it. I don't think the electric stove in apartment can get the 226 I need before straining:mad:. When I strain it should it be thick or does it thicken as it cools. It was pretty watery when I pulled the plug but taste mighty fine:D. Thinking next attempt will finish off on the turkey fryer. Does any of this make half a sense :confused::confused:

BryanEx
02-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Sounds like you may have been just a little impatient They Call Me Pete. The electric stove will make you syrup but at a slower rate than a 85,000 BTU turkey fryer. I am curious as to why you were shooting for 226 degrees though? If you can swing it pay the 20+ bucks for a hydrometer and take all the guess work out of your syrup equation.

adk1
02-27-2011, 07:11 PM
yeah, 226 is pretty high. 219 seems to be the norm to pull off using a thermometer

Sugarmaker
02-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Pete,
Like others I think you made good syrup at 220.
Normally you need to shoot for 7.1 degrees above where water boils [212 F at sea level] we usually take off syrup about 217 F. Get a good digital thermometer reading in tenths,
Chris

Greg Morin
02-27-2011, 07:20 PM
7 degrees over boiling is syrup 226 should be almost candy

They Call Me Pete
02-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Oh crap !! why did I think 220 was boiling point :emb:. Well I went to my moms and used her gas stove and this is what I got. It if I remember right it was around 215ish and decide it was good enough for me :D
http://i51.tinypic.com/fapfzd.jpg

Sugarmaker
02-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Pete,
Looks good. at 215, your were close and it probably tastes real good!
Nice job!
Chris

Greg Morin
02-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Oh crap !! why did I think 220 was boiling point :emb:. Well I went to my moms and used her gas stove and this is what I got. It if I remember right it was around 215ish and decide it was good enough for me :D
http://i51.tinypic.com/fapfzd.jpg

well then welcome to the club your now a real sugar maker

Haynes Forest Products
02-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Pete you have in your hands more syrup I made in my first year. I was walking around like a new bride showing off her ring. I can say I dont know that look but it sounded good. Now if you like it thats all that counts. Get the Hydro and learn the science of it all:)

adk1
02-27-2011, 07:45 PM
sometimes 220 is syrup, depends on the day really and what your water boiling point is at that exact time. Only a hydrometer will tell you the truth though

They Call Me Pete
02-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks guys. I can't believe I actually did it. Heres a pic of my set up. The pot on the top was my preheater ;) Wasn't going to waste the heat coming outta the flu. Already planning on making a evap out of a 55 gallon drum. I saw a really cool pic of one on here.

adk1
02-27-2011, 08:04 PM
yup, nice job! You cought the bug now for sure.

sapbrush
02-27-2011, 11:57 PM
HYDROMEATER/ thats the only way you know its done

jcr1709
02-28-2011, 06:35 AM
Pete,

Here in Middlefield, CT (2nd year sugaring) I also don't have a hydrometer, but will get one soon. I skim the foam and wood ash bits that develops when fierely boiling...What I've been doing up to this point is boil it on the outdoor fire until it looks a little brown, and noticibly sweet and a little thicker. Then I strain it through a fine strainer (a chinois we use in the restaurant business)into a tall, narrow stainless pot.

Finish inside until about 217 (not done yet) then strain it through a gold coffee filter (I find them left in coffeemakers at the dump all the time) (Paper filters clog way too quickly) I strain the nearly done syrup into a smaller pot that is less wide to lessen the possibility of scorch/or boiling down too quickly. (Less surface area to evaporate). Then cook until 9 degrees above my boiling point (varies here 212 oe 213 depending on the day). At 9 degrees above boiling point, it seems to have a nice consistency when cooled. There still will be some very small particles left after all this straining so I now put the syrup in a tall, narrow mason jar (like you...have 1/2 gal and 1 gal ones) and let it sit on the kitchen counter with a lid and you will see the syrup get clearer by the day due to settling. After a week or so I then carefully ladle or pour the syrup out and leave the sediment at the bottom. (just like decanting a fine bottle of wine or homemade beer)

I am convinced, however, of the benefits of a hydrometer. I can also use a hydrometer to test the sap I'm getting ready to boil, particularly when I think rainwater may have gotten into the buckets and may consider discarding the sap.

Attached are pictures of my preheater and evaporator....just a simple outdoor fireplace, but at the end of a good day I can end up with 1-2 gallons of finished syrup from the 14 large sugar maples I tap very close to the fireplace.

I like your signature...about surviving our new governor! I definitely know where you're coming from.

Jamie

Haynes Forest Products
02-28-2011, 07:57 AM
JCR you need the sap Hydrometer for sap:mad: Yup they are not the same thing. AS you have read the Syrup one wont float until you get close to syrup so it wont even bob up and down in sap.

Brent
02-28-2011, 08:35 AM
... and may god have mercy on your soul

You're hooked. Welcome to the clan.

jcr1709
02-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Haynes,

Thanks....I did learn that as I checked out hydrometer sources. Even have cups long or short that work with different hydrometers. I'm sure the sellers hate it when us home sugarer's don't know what we are buying!

Jamie

Brent
02-28-2011, 08:57 AM
When I got a new barbicue a few years ago I was taken by the logo on the Ducan all stainless cookers.
"buy your last barbicue first"

In the hydrometer field, go to the Maple Guys web site.
They started this forum. They have a cup for your hydrometer called a Acu-cup that has a self contained digital thermometer. Density is very much dependant on the sugars AND the temperature. You can't get a good reading with a typical hydrometer, which is calibrated to
211 degrees, when the temperature of the syrup has fallen to 198 or so. To make legal syrup you need to hit
66 Brix. For best flavor you want 67.5 and if you go to 69 the sugars will start to crystalize in big hard lumps in the bottom of your jars. The margin to get it right is small.
See http://www.mapleguys.com/index.php?category=6
They make these in house themselves.

Oh ... and hydrometers are shockingly delicate. You'll be lucky to go through a season without breaking one, especially your first year.

Good luck.

Haynes Forest Products
02-28-2011, 09:17 AM
JCR to add to what Brent said about temp eture you want the cup and hydrometer to be up to temp. Dont get all caught up in washing the cup and Hydro after every use. I store mine on the steam hood so its hot. I also fill with syrup read it then domp back into the evap and then fill again and read that as my accurate reading. A cold cup and Hydro can suck the temp down 5 degrees.

sugarin' in the hood
02-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Prior to getting a syrup hydrometer I would boil some water then add 7 degrees to the candy thermometer that we used.

Mac_Muz
03-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Is there a very small hydrometer? Pete hasn't enough syrup to float one, by the one picture I see.

I use a spoon, testing small batches.

Too watery sappy syrup acts like plain water on a sharply tilited spoon.

'About Right' hangs a apron on a same sharply tilted spoon, and then the best test is the feel of the syrup as you taste it off the spoon :mrgreen:

I keep several clean spoons in a glass, since taste testing is important. :D

I can only see the very first pic, twice as someone quoted it. I have no idea why the rest of the pics don't show.

Yellzee
03-01-2011, 06:37 PM
anyone use one of the hydrotherms that you can use at boiling temps? Used one the last couple years with pretty good results based on it not freezing in the deep freezer and not getting sugar in the bottom of the jars.

I struggle with trying to let the syrup cool down to the right temp for the hydrometer.

BryanEx
03-01-2011, 06:49 PM
I have a hydrotherm but find it too slow to adjust to the temperature as compared to a hydrometer. I mostly use it when checking density at room temperature when the syrup is not likely to change temperature while waiting.