PDA

View Full Version : Tapping in wyoming county

jimsudz
02-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Tapped on vac last week vacuum pump seems to work fine , ran it 31 hrs got aprox.110 gals. on 86 taps last week. Trees were froze an still to much snow around trees. Hung 168 buckets on big yard/road sugars on thurs. should get good run sun-mon , hope to boil monday evening. Going to tap a few more stargglers today maybe 25-50. Never tapped reds before this season the holes didn't drill out real clean even with new bit, have alot of weepers. Iuse a hardwood 1x1 to drive new CDL seasonal taps and I know I didn't over drive them, anyone have this problem? It was close to 50 degrees when I tapped. Ran some water through rig on sat. to try new ss preheater and hood seem to work fine , no leaks. Best of luck this season if your around Bennington ore Attica and the saps running stop in for a soda and a chat. Jim

danno
02-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Yep, tapping reds is nothing like tapping sugars. Glad I only have a couple of reds. They don't drill nearly as clean, they are alot softer than sugars, and are very easy to split if tapped too hard.